WIN 7 PRO (OEM) PRODUCT CODE NO LONGER RECOGNIZED RRS feed

• Question

• Last year (January 2013) using Bootcamp I created a second partition and loaded an authorized Win7 Professional (OEM) onto my MacBook Pro (OSX.8, since then upgraded to OSX9.2). Until I no longer needed the Windows for my job all the Windows updates had been installed and the software worked as expected. On several occasions I had to repartition or reload the Win OS onto the same laptop. When I entered the Product Key on each occasion there was never any problem. Yesterday, however, when I attempted to log into the Win partition for the 1st time in several months an error msg appeared stating the MS SW was "not genuine". I logged onto MS's support page & typed in the product key; the key is not recognized for this country (U.S.A.). My laptop has never left the U.S. and the software was purchased from Newegg in the U.S.

Microsoft phone support with a human is $$! Following the Microsoft "Genuine" page suggestions I have checked the product package label, Certificate of Authenticity, the CD, etc. etc. and everything looks right.  The software seller's phone rep at Newegg assured me today it's a real Microsoft product.

So:  I can't log onto my Windows partition and cannot get online assistance from the Microsoft support page as the Product Key is no longer recognized, whereas it always was accepted in 2013. 

???

Monday, March 31, 2014 9:26 PM

Answers

• Being non-genuine does NOT of itself prevent you logging in - you can click 'Cancel' on the screen and it will continue through a normal boot.

If your system will not let you log in, then you have other problems as well.

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:12 PM

All replies

• You will need to post your MGA Report so we can analyze your issue.

Carey Frisch

Monday, March 31, 2014 9:57 PM
  • Will this work if I can't actually get into the Windows partition; e.g., cannot log on?
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 4:08 AM
  • Being non-genuine does NOT of itself prevent you logging in - you can click 'Cancel' on the screen and it will continue through a normal boot.

If your system will not let you log in, then you have other problems as well.

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:12 PM
  • The certificate for the MGADiag.exe expired 3/7/2011. I'm not opening anything that MS hasn't bothered to renew for three years.
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:16 AM
  • I got into my Windows partition today for the first time in several months; however, am still seeing "Windows 7 Build 7601 Windows is not genuine".

Now what? I'm running the Important updates. Security update KB2861191 failed to install. I have about 30 that the system thinks need to be updated. Will any of the updates fix this problem?

Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:36 AM
  • To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:06 AM