none
How to test/learn Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased MOD 20532C, the first thing it's asking me to do is create a VM (module 2). I get a $200 bill credit, but it seems to restrict SQL Server servers to "D" sizes, which want hundreds per month. I don't want to use any of this stuff for profit, I just want to follow along with the MOD, create some stuff, and then not worry about being billed for something I never actually used in a production environment/for profit.

How do we practice? I spent hundreds on the MOD, more than $100 on the test, and now I don't see a way to actually practice without winding up owing hundreds/thousands on the back end (by the time I make it through all 10 modules... Module 2 Lesson 2 alone looks like it's going to cost roughly $400/mo, which is already twice my $200 free credit)... How do we do this? Do we just read the MOD, not actually do anything in Azure, and pray on the test?

• Edited by tctdev Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:27 PM spelling error.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:09 PM

Answers

• You only pay for the VM when its up and running.  So you can run several VMs on a $200 credit per month if you make sure to shut them down when not using them.  On trick is to make sure you set the Automated Shutdown settings so the VMs will shutdown if you inadvertently leave them on over night.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:58 PM
  • You don't have to delete the VMs.  Just shut them down by deallocating them in the Azure site.  You can start them back up later and be right where you left off.  Remember the monthly cost is to run them 7 days a week 24 hours a day.  If you only study 8 hours a day you've already cut it by 1/3.

Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:58 AM

All replies

• You only pay for the VM when its up and running.  So you can run several VMs on a $200 credit per month if you make sure to shut them down when not using them.  On trick is to make sure you set the Automated Shutdown settings so the VMs will shutdown if you inadvertently leave them on over night.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Paul. My concern is that I'm going to (more than likely - I haven't read the entire course) be creating App Services, Web Services, SQL databases, Load Balancers, AD (etc...) throughout the course, and each one of these is going to come with some sort of cost. It just seems like there is so much to do that I'm going to exhaust the trial money by far.

I guess best practice would be to simply create, and then delete everything within a few minutes? If I do that, there shouldn't be any crazy charges, regardless of what it says the "per month" estimate is?
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:13 PM
  • You don't have to delete the VMs.  Just shut them down by deallocating them in the Azure site.  You can start them back up later and be right where you left off.  Remember the monthly cost is to run them 7 days a week 24 hours a day.  If you only study 8 hours a day you've already cut it by 1/3.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:58 AM