Win7 WHS Connector Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.
    I am new to WHS to be gentle :-)
    I have a WHS setup with 3 laptops, 2 are Vista (Business & Home editions) and a single Windows 7 Ultimate edition.
    My WHS is running PP3.

I have no problems with the Vista laptops connecting to the WHS.
    The problem is with the Win7 machine.

I can't get the connector to install.

What i can do is
    RDP via MSTSC to the WHS by Name
    PING the server by Name
    Connect to the homeserver connector setup page by Name (http://homeserver:55000

I have read other threads and have seen similar problems - but can't see a resolution for me....

I have
    updated my lmhosts file
    updated my hosts file
    enabled NetBios over TC\PIP

i have a feeling that my connection errors are due to name resolution as nslookup resolves to my ISP's DNS servers.
    any way around this ?

Thanks
    James
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:44 PM

All replies

• You can try setting your internal DNS to point to your router. If you use DHCP for internal IP configuration, you will change the DNS server for DHCP to your router's internal ip address (usually something like 192.168.0.1 or 10.10.0.1, but I assume you'll be able to figure this out if that's not right). If you manually configure computers, you will need to change TCP/IP configuration on those computers to use the router as DNS server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Thanks for the reply - i will try that tonight.
    My WHS server is has a DHCP assigned address assigned that is reserved for the machine - do you suggest changing the DHCP settings on my router (which is my dhcp server) - or just on the WHS server - as all my other machines seem to be connecting OK and accessing the internet just fine....

Thanks again for your reply.

SF

Monday, November 30, 2009 9:27 AM
  • To answer this, the output of ipconfig /all would be needed.
    The recommended practice is, that the DHCP configuration shows to the routers internal IP address as DNS server. The router then should filter the requests and redirect only those name resolution requests pointing to external domains to the DNS server of the ISP.
    More details about such stuff can be found also in the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:46 AM
  • >>>You can try setting your internal DNS to point to your router. If you use DHCP for internal IP configuration, you will change the DNS server for DHCP to your router's internal ip address (usually something like 192.168.0.1 or 10.10.0.1, but I assume you'll be able to figure this out if that's not right). If you manually configure computers, you will need to change TCP/IP configuration on those computers to use the router as DNS server.
    I have reset the router DHCP to point to itsself as a DNS server.
    The router is a ZyXEL P-660HWP-1

>>>To answer this, the output of ipconfig /all would be needed. The recommended practice is, that the DHCP configuration shows to the routers internal IP address as DNS server. The router then should filter the requests and redirect only those name resolution requests pointing to external domains to the DNS server of the ISP.  More details about such stuff can be found also in the FAQ http://social.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/15a9e657-54a3-453f-b0e7-1efa59b7feea

Hi Olaf, thanks for your post.The relevant bits of Ipconfig /all which has the router as the DNS server are below...

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ABC123
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-26-F5-52-A3
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
    nection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D2-C9-B9-0A
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9149:ce05:13e2:28a6%12(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.34(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 November 2009 22:06:45
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 December 2009 22:06:45
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218110418
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-2D-5C-EA-00-15-C5-24-56-97

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Below is the output from NBTSTAT -A

C:\Windows\system32>nbtstat -a homeserver

Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Bluetooth Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Wireless Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.34] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
        ---------------------------------------------
        HOMESERVER     <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
        HOMESERVER     <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
        ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-0F-EA-43-E5-46

Its strange because the two other machines all use the same DHCP settings etc an have no problems connecting!

Thanks for any suggestions!
    SF

Monday, November 30, 2009 9:57 PM
  • You could change the priority of your network adapters so, that the wireless connection of that machine is on top. I added a section "Multihomed machines" on the bottom of the above FAQ to explain, how to do that.
    Olaf

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:41 AM
  • You could change the priority of your network adapters so, that the wireless connection of that machine is on top. I added a section "Multihomed machines" on the bottom of the above FAQ to explain, how to do that.
    Olaf

Thanks again.
    I have changed the priority of the NIC's but this has not made any difference.
    Its strange - i can ping the server by name ...  but can't get WHS to connect!

SF
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:37 PM
  • So can you find anything in the event log of the client or server matching to your failed connection attempts?
    Would it help, to uninstall the network adapter on the client, reboot and get it reinstalled? Sometimes here something may hick up. (uh that last sentence sounds very "professional")
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:32 PM