Auto update desktop based aplication RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have problem about visual studio 2010.

I make program Calculation.

I want that program get new version when i publish a new version to my server.

how i can i do that?

i trying search but lot off them publish to internet, i want that program update with my local server (the server not online to internet).

Please help

thanks

Surbakti

• Edited by Surbakti Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:15 AM
    • Moved by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:21 AM not sure which forum the issue should belong to
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Surbakti,

One approach is using version which I implemented for my local program.

In Server, Keep a file like latestversion.xml which will contain latest supported version. The desktop application should check its own assembly version (or internal version if you have) against this common shared XML file. If the version in XML is higher than desktop application, it needs to ask user whether to update the desktop application to new version. If user wants to update version, you can start another exe like updater.exe (close Desktop application) and copy all files from Server to local deployed path.

Some suggestions are :

• Give option like Auto update, Check for updates and prompt user for update, never update.
    • Server Version xml has to be updated manually once the application in common location is fully tested.
    • You can use Assembly version or a static version in code.
    • Updater.exe should use a xml in common location for file names to handle new files and delete old ones which might be deprecated.
    • Server can be FTP server also.

Hope it helps

Happy coding :)

VV

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:37 AM