Cannot connect to a WHS HP MediaSmart Server (ethernet problem) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a (headless) HP MediaSmart Server. I cannot connect to the server across the ethernet connection at all.   Up until recently, it had been working fine for about a year.

Upon a cold boot, for the first 3 or 4 minutes, I can ping the server from a different machine on the network (with response times of 1-4 milliseconds, as you would expect). After four minutes, if it responds to the ping at all, the response come in the 5 to 9 SECOND range, which is ridiculous.  Ping seems to work until the OS is fully booted.  I cannot connected via the Console (icon always grey), nor through RDP.  The server appears in the network neighborhood, but I can't reach the shares.

It's possible that it auto-downloaded a flaky update to the NIC driver but the important point is I have no idea what is going on, since it has no local monitor or keyboard.

Everything else on the network in fine. (Other machines, hard-wired & Wifi, can commicate with each other & the internet). The health led is usually blue (on some reboots, it's red, but I assume that's a different problem which I'll deal with once I can log on)

Any ideas on how to diagnose/solve this problem?

Truth, James (http://www.honestillusion.com)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:20 PM

All replies

• I have a (headless) HP MediaSmart Server. I cannot connect to the server across the ethernet connection at all.   Up until recently, it had been working fine for about a year.

Upon a cold boot, for the first 3 or 4 minutes, I can ping the server from a different machine on the network (with response times of 1-4 milliseconds, as you would expect). After four minutes, if it responds to the ping at all, the response come in the 5 to 9 SECOND range, which is ridiculous.  Ping seems to work until the OS is fully booted.  I cannot connected via the Console (icon always grey), nor through RDP.  The server appears in the network neighborhood, but I can't reach the shares.

It's possible that it auto-downloaded a flaky update to the NIC driver but the important point is I have no idea what is going on, since it has no local monitor or keyboard.

Everything else on the network in fine. (Other machines, hard-wired & Wifi, can commicate with each other & the internet). The health led is usually blue (on some reboots, it's red, but I assume that's a different problem which I'll deal with once I can log on)

Any ideas on how to diagnose/solve this problem?

Truth, James (http://www.honestillusion.com)

You should start by calling HP support.  If the NIC is going bad, you might be able to replace it under warranty.  Other than that, your only supported option is Server Recovery.  The unsupported option would be to hack the box in such a way that you could connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor (but that's not for the faint of heart).
    Friday, June 19, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Just out of curiosity, have you recently enabled both the McAfee proteciton that HP provided, and the PVConnect tool that they provided? If so, you may need to just leave your server alone for a very long time (up to days, I think) so that those two add-ins can finish their initialization chores. This is a one-time thing...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:47 PM
  • I started having this problem on Monday, July 13th.  The HP Server is running and shows no warning lights, but none of my computers can see it.  Did you ever find out what the problem was with yours?
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Same issue with a new installation of McAfee software on a HP EX485.  Followed McAfee's instructions, I think I will just wait a few days to see where the server has got to.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:47 PM