none
Question about previous versions RRS feed

• Question

• Just one small question about the previous versions on WHS:

Since I didn´t have too much time for my server the past weeks and I´ve made an upgradeto windows vista on my desktop-computer, I recently noticed that the previous versions in WHS seem to be working as intended.

So that´s my question if they have been fixed in the meantime - I think they must have been any fix since the file I´ve restored trough previous versions wasn´t saved directly on the data-drive (recording to the duplicate info addin)

I also tried deleting other files mutually which where not stored directly on the data-drive and then restoring them in this way - worked, too.

So I think this issue has been fixed in the meantime.

WbR,
    HaPe
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:45 PM

Answers

• HaPe1 said:

Just one small question about the previous versions on WHS:

Since I didn´t have too much time for my server the past weeks and I´ve made an upgradeto windows vista on my desktop-computer, I recently noticed that the previous versions in WHS seem to be working as intended.

So that´s my question if they have been fixed in the meantime - I think they must have been any fix since the file I´ve restored trough previous versions wasn´t saved directly on the data-drive (recording to the duplicate info addin)

I also tried deleting other files mutually which where not stored directly on the data-drive and then restoring them in this way - worked, too.

WbR,
    HaPe

No, it hasn't.  Reboot your server and the files that you were able to restore before will no longer work.

Having said that, mine continue to work (almost 6 months now) even after a reboot thanks to brubber's find.  You can read all about it here.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:55 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by HaPe1 Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:58 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• HaPe1 said:

Just one small question about the previous versions on WHS:

WbR,
    HaPe

No, it hasn't.  Reboot your server and the files that you were able to restore before will no longer work.

Having said that, mine continue to work (almost 6 months now) even after a reboot thanks to brubber's find.  You can read all about it here.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:55 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by HaPe1 Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:58 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:53 PM
  • OK, thanks for the quick reply - so I simply shouldn´t delete files that I need and rely on restoring them days or weeks later :-)

Although I hope that MS will fix this issue since it´s a great and simple thing to get deleted files back!
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:58 PM
  • HaPe1 said:

OK, thanks for the quick reply - so I simply shouldn´t delete files that I need and rely on restoring them days or weeks later :-)

Or just backup the files in your network shares using the backup utility.

HaPe1 said:

Although I hope that MS will fix this issue since it´s a great and simple thing to get deleted files back!

Don't count on it ever being fixed in this version of WHS.  It has to due with the way WHS handles the files/storage pool and the fact that the underlying OS (Windows Server 2003) doesn't understand it.  Plus the fact that the OS is now 6 years old, I don't see MS putting any development time into it.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:03 PM