none
Which certification should i choose. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I have 5+ yr. exp. in Microsoft technologies like asp.net 2.0/3.0/3.5/4.0,c#.net,vb.net,ado.net,Sql server 2005/2008.Entity framework etc.

I am willing to upgrade my skills and career in MS technologies.I don't have any Microsoft certification yet so from where should i start.

I have listened about MCTS,MCPD and MCITP but don't know what should i get first.

Where i'll get study material.

What will be the fees.

Thanks

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• From the list of technologies that you mentioned, you are more of a developer than an "IT guy". Therefore, you should be aiming to an MCPD certification rather than MCITP. These two are the "high level" certifications. On the way to acquire one of those, you will achieve several MCTS certifications, which are the "lower level" ones, typically requiring a single exam for each MCTS.

Depending on the time frame that you are seting for your certification, you may aim for a MCPD on Visual Studio 2010, or a MCSD on Visual Studio 2012. MCSD is a newer certification that replaces MCPD, but most of the new exams are not yet available.

See the following link for your available options. They are reasonably well explained, but if you have any doubts come back here and ask away.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/visual-studio-all.aspx#tab2

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Thanks for quick reply.

As per your suggestion i  am thinking about MCPD certification.

I am little bit confuse from the line "On the way to acquire one of those, you will achieve several MCTS certifications".

Does this mean if i go through MCPD certificate then i'll get MCTS certificates included in that?

Apart from that can you please tell me something about study material/fees for certifications.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

you have to take several MCTS exams to complete the requirements for a MCPD. To get an overview just follow the link provided by Alberto.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:13 AM
    Answerer
  • that's fine.

can you please tell me something about study material/fees for certifications.

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Hi Sukhjeevan,

You can start with 70-536 which is a base exam for Visual Studio and .NET Framework 3.5 certification path. Please have a look at the exam vs certification diagram at http://www.kodyaz.com/training/microsoft-visual-studio-certification-paths.aspx

I think there might be a newer one for .NET Framework 4.0

SQL Server, SQL Server 2012 Denali and T-SQL Tutorials

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:42 AM