MCT Certification RRS feed

• Question

• I am in a bit of a conundrum, in the sense I am with a strong company in the health care industry, a full time employee, and I am well
    compensated. My conflict is, as a full time employee, if I were to obtain a MCT certification (which I would like to do), I would add value to my employer, but as a full time employee, I would be limited in my opportunities to present/train/instruct outside my current employment . So, that is one thing I am troubled, as I research the MCT certification, I read where you add value to your employer, but with my employer I would not be training all that much. I do some internal training among my peers, internally in my company, but training is not my main responsibility. My salary is quite a bit more than what the average MCT makes, so it would not make sense salary wise to leave my employer.

So, would I need to leave my current employer to make use of my MCT certification?

Secondly, this may be a stupid question (so pardon my ignorance) after you obtain the MCT certification, does it become your responsibility to land training opportunities, or do you have to hook up as a contractor or consultant with an accredited Microsoft Training facility? What is the process needed to obtain training opportunities?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In recent years, the vast majority of trainers do not work directly for a learning partner. Most of us, myself included, are freelance. Many trainers have  full time job, and do training on the side. Sometimes you can find engagements for a vacation week, or perhaps teaching night classes at a local college.

It seems to me that although you might be well compensated, you seem like you also want more. Being a Microsoft Certified Trainer is challenging work, but it can be very rewarding in many ways. I really enjoy being part of the community.

With regards to finding teaching engagements, yes, you do generally need to find your own. Many trainers use a broker to help with placements. I am one of these people. I like to teach but I don't like to sell, collect, bill, etc.  It is ideal for me. You might find it helpful to join a user group in your community. It's a great way to meet others, including trainers.

You should also consider going to a Microsoft conference, like TechEd or Build. In addition to learning a lot, you will have an opportunity to interact with many other trainers.

One last thought. Microsoft Learning recently introduced a Regional Lead program for MCTs. I am a regional lead for the Eastern United States. Part of my role is to help other MCTs to know what is going on in our community. I also help other people such as yourself get involved.

If you like, reply to this post with some general information as to what part of the world you live in. We may even have a regional lead near you.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:23 AM
  • An MCT can teach anywhere. The limitation is that you may not teach public classes using official courseware unless it is done at a CPLS. But if you teach private classes or if you use non-Microsoft materials, then you can do it anywhere.

I have never taught in a classroom that did not belong to a CPLS, but as far as I can tell, it would be perfectly legitimate to do so.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In recent years, the vast majority of trainers do not work directly for a learning partner. Most of us, myself included, are freelance. Many trainers have  full time job, and do training on the side. Sometimes you can find engagements for a vacation week, or perhaps teaching night classes at a local college.

It seems to me that although you might be well compensated, you seem like you also want more. Being a Microsoft Certified Trainer is challenging work, but it can be very rewarding in many ways. I really enjoy being part of the community.

With regards to finding teaching engagements, yes, you do generally need to find your own. Many trainers use a broker to help with placements. I am one of these people. I like to teach but I don't like to sell, collect, bill, etc.  It is ideal for me. You might find it helpful to join a user group in your community. It's a great way to meet others, including trainers.

You should also consider going to a Microsoft conference, like TechEd or Build. In addition to learning a lot, you will have an opportunity to interact with many other trainers.

One last thought. Microsoft Learning recently introduced a Regional Lead program for MCTs. I am a regional lead for the Eastern United States. Part of my role is to help other MCTs to know what is going on in our community. I also help other people such as yourself get involved.

If you like, reply to this post with some general information as to what part of the world you live in. We may even have a regional lead near you.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:23 AM
  • What is the process needed to obtain training opportunities?

I second everything that Mike said. I'll add that, in my own case, I don't use a broker; instead, I contact directly the various training centers to offer my services. After a while, you become well-known and they start calling you directly when there is a training opportunity that they know you would fill well. At least, this works in the place where I live. Of course, things can vary a lot in other countries.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Alberto,

The training centers you contact are only Microsoft Partners? As a MCT can you teach at a non Microsoft Partner (like a recent created training center) ?

Thank you

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Pedro Martins
    Portugal
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/rechousa

Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:04 AM
  • An MCT can teach anywhere. The limitation is that you may not teach public classes using official courseware unless it is done at a CPLS. But if you teach private classes or if you use non-Microsoft materials, then you can do it anywhere.

I have never taught in a classroom that did not belong to a CPLS, but as far as I can tell, it would be perfectly legitimate to do so.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:14 PM