none
Quick and easy question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
    I'm new to Windows HPC computing and have a quick question. I am considering the Cray CX1/Windows HPC 2008 combination machine. All my software is highly parallel and I have written it to spawn an equal number of threads as there are CPU cores in our desktop machines. I develop with VS 2005/2008 C++/C#. If I run my applications on a Windows HPC 2008 mini-cluster (like the Cray CX1) will windows distribute the threads across the CPU/nodes transparently (as if I were running on a simple quad-core desktop), or do I need to modify my source code in some way?

Thanks for any replies!
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:28 PM

Answers

• The CX1 does act as a 'standard' Windows HPC Server 2008 cluster, needing distributed programming techniques to take full advantage of it. A supercomputer that runs off standard wall power in a 'nice form factor' can be pretty compelling, but more information about the rest of the stuff a CX1 provides is available on Cray's site: http://www.cray.com/Products/CX1/Product/Resources.aspx
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:48 AM

All replies

• The Cray CX1 machine is a cluster.  And although the nodes are shared memory architectures (all multi-core machines are), the full machine is not.  As such, you could run without modification using a parametric sweep, or would need to modify your source to take advantage of one of our distributed programming models such as Cluster SOA or MPI/MPI.net.

• Proposed as answer by robert.palmer Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:54 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:54 PM
  • So, what does the CX1 provide that a standard Windows 2K8 HPC cluster does not, besides a nice form factor?  If the CX1 appears as a single virtual OS with up to 64 procs and 256GB of memory, and no knowledge of distributed architectures or MPI is required, then that's a nice advantage.  But if it's still a standard HPC cluster that requires distributed programming models and knowlege of MPI to take full advantage, then where is the added benefit?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 4:34 PM
  • The CX1 does act as a 'standard' Windows HPC Server 2008 cluster, needing distributed programming techniques to take full advantage of it. A supercomputer that runs off standard wall power in a 'nice form factor' can be pretty compelling, but more information about the rest of the stuff a CX1 provides is available on Cray's site: http://www.cray.com/Products/CX1/Product/Resources.aspx
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:48 AM