Getting Win98SE to recognize External USB Storage Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to backup some large music and picture files off my friends old computer that he wants transferred over to his new WinXP computer. I have an external hard drive that connects via USB. Since this computer I'm backing up from is an older Pentium 2 machine it most likely uses USB 1.0 but I can't get his computer to recognize my external drive when it is plugged in. I tried installing drivers that came with the drive under the Win98SE folder but they won't install for some reason.

I also have the same trouble installing drivers for my 1 GB USB key Flash drive.

Anyone have an ideas? If so pls. email me don't forget to remove the (NOSPAM) from my address.

Thanks,

Sunday, July 30, 2006 2:07 AM

Answers

• Lambobiwan,

It appears your posting is not Genuine Advantage specific. In order to provide specific support for the issue you describe I would recommend you check your support options available for Windows here:

www.support.microsoft.com

Hope this helps

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:52 AM

All replies

• Lambobiwan,

It appears your posting is not Genuine Advantage specific. In order to provide specific support for the issue you describe I would recommend you check your support options available for Windows here:

www.support.microsoft.com

Hope this helps

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:52 AM
  •  

I don't know what you mean by Genuine Advantage Specific and I checked out the support link but that doesn't help since the Win98 link is dead and support for that OS has been terminated.

Pls. don't make me jump through a bunch of hoops just help with me out if you can.

Monday, July 31, 2006 3:01 AM
  • Hi Lambobiwan,

I think what Derrick was trying to tell you is that the people on this forum have expertise in WGA validation (which is Windows XP based).  I would suggest going to this newsgroup:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.win98.apps&lang=en&cr=US - They have Windows 98' specific discussions going on and someone there may know the answer.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Michelle

Thursday, August 3, 2006 11:46 PM