XP Pro over XP home/Genuine Advantage Kit RRS feed

• Question

• Discovering that my copy of XP Pro was not genuine I bought from MS initially the download and later received the Genuine Advantage Kit XP Pro Disk. No Problem.

The disk is labelled "..............Direct CD No Key". I do, however, have the emailed key.

Now I have purchased a new computer with XP Home installed and the old -really OLD- computer is to be destroyed. I would like to install my Genuine copy of XP Pro on the new computer.

Question. 1 How do I proceed to install and validate/activate the new O/S ?

2. Will installing over the existing XP Home erase my programs and data on the new computer ?

In other words am I stuck with XP Home unless I purchase  anew ?

Thanks for any help.      

Saturday, January 27, 2007 11:20 AM

Answers

• Peter:

Most likely you'll have to telephone to activate.

-phil

Monday, January 29, 2007 6:47 PM

All replies

• NOT Peter,

The license for XP Pro that you purchased in the form of the WGA Kit under the Genuine Windows Advantage program is a full retail license for XP Pro.  Happily, in your case that means you are within your usage rights to move the license from one computer to another.

To install the XP Pro onto the XP Home installation, you will be doing an Upgrade installation:

1.  As a precaution, back up your irreplaceable data.  The upgrade process is designed to preserve both data and installed programs, so if all goes well your XP Home will lose nothing.  (But, there's always that slim chance of something going wrong!)

2.  Before you upgrade, be sure that your current XP installation is in great shape---all updates applied, free of any spyware/malware, data backed up, hard disk defragged.

3.  Follow Method 1 in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

4.  After the installation is complete, visit Microsoft Updates (f/k/a Windows Update) to get any updates that you need.

Note:  Quite often computers from major manufacturers have recovery partitions and diagnostic partitions hidden on the hard drive.  Please resist the temptation to delete these partitions as you never know when you will need them.

Friendly advice:  Please keep your genuine XP Pro CD, Certificate of Authenticity, and Product Key in a safe place.  Personally, I would burn a copy of the CD, photocopy the COA, and then write the PK on both, and use this working copy to do the installation, keeping the originals stored safely.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

Do I take it that using the Product Key I have will permit an unchallenged installation or will I need to contact MS to explain the new PC /destruction of old?                Regards

Monday, January 29, 2007 7:26 AM
  • Peter:

Most likely you'll have to telephone to activate.

-phil

Monday, January 29, 2007 6:47 PM