Imports

System.IO

Imports

Microsoft.Synchronization

Imports

Microsoft.Synchronization.Files

Public

Class FileSynch

'' Create a filter that excludes all *.lnk files. The same filter should be used

'' by both providers.

'Dim filter As New FileSyncScopeFilter()

' filter.FileNameExcludes.Add("*.lnk")

Public Sub SynchronizeFiles(ByVal SourcePath As String, ByVal DestinationPath As String, ByVal filter As FileSyncScopeFilter)

' Set options for the synchronization session.

Dim options As FileSyncOptions = FileSyncOptions.CompareFileStreams

SynchronizeFiles(SourcePath, DestinationPath, options, filter)

End Sub

Public Sub SynchronizeFiles(ByVal SourcePath As String, ByVal DestinationPath As String, ByVal Options As FileSyncOptions, ByVal filter As FileSyncScopeFilter)

' Explicitly detect changes on both replicas before syncyhronization occurs.

' This avoids two change detection passes for the bidirectional synchronization

' that we will perform.

DetectChangesOnFileSystemReplica(SourcePath, filter, Options)

' Synchronize the replicas .

SyncFileSystemReplicasOneWay(SourcePath, DestinationPath, filter, Options)

End Sub

' Create a provider, and detect changes on the replica that the provider

' represents.

Public Sub DetectChangesOnFileSystemReplica(ByVal replicaRootPath As String, ByVal filter As FileSyncScopeFilter, _

ByVal options As FileSyncOptions)

Dim provider As FileSyncProvider = Nothing

Try

provider =

New FileSyncProvider(replicaRootPath, filter, options)

provider.DetectChanges()

Finally

' Release resources.

If provider IsNot Nothing Then

provider.Dispose()

End If

End Try

End Sub

Public Sub SyncFileSystemReplicasOneWay(ByVal sourceReplicaRootPath As String, _

ByVal destinationReplicaRootPath As String, ByVal filter As FileSyncScopeFilter, _

ByVal options As FileSyncOptions)

Dim sourceProvider As FileSyncProvider = Nothing

Dim destinationProvider As FileSyncProvider = Nothing

Try

' Instantiate source and destination providers, with a null filter (the filter

' was specified in DetectChangesOnFileSystemReplica()), and options for both.

sourceProvider =

New FileSyncProvider(sourceReplicaRootPath, filter, options)

destinationProvider =

New FileSyncProvider(destinationReplicaRootPath, filter, options)

' Register event handlers so that we can write information

' to the console.

AddHandler destinationProvider.AppliedChange, AddressOf OnAppliedChange

AddHandler destinationProvider.SkippedChange, AddressOf OnSkippedChange

' Use SyncCallbacks for conflicting items.

Dim destinationCallbacks As SyncCallbacks = destinationProvider.DestinationCallbacks

AddHandler destinationCallbacks.ItemConflicting, AddressOf OnItemConflicting

AddHandler destinationCallbacks.ItemConstraint, AddressOf OnItemConstraint

Dim agent As New SyncOrchestrator()

agent.LocalProvider = sourceProvider

agent.RemoteProvider = destinationProvider

agent.Direction = SyncDirectionOrder.Upload

' Upload changes from the source to the destination.

Console.WriteLine(

"Synchronizing changes to replica: " & destinationProvider.RootDirectoryPath)

agent.Synchronize()

Finally

' Release resources.

If sourceProvider IsNot Nothing Then

sourceProvider.Dispose()

End If

If destinationProvider IsNot Nothing Then

destinationProvider.Dispose()

End If

End Try

End Sub

' Provide information about files that were affected by the synchronization session.

Public Event eOnAppliedChange(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As AppliedChangeEventArgs)

Public Sub OnAppliedChange(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As AppliedChangeEventArgs)

RaiseEvent eOnAppliedChange(sender, args)

Select Case args.ChangeType

Case ChangeType.Create

Console.WriteLine(

"-- Applied CREATE for file " & args.NewFilePath)

Exit Select

Case ChangeType.Delete

Console.WriteLine(

"-- Applied DELETE for file " & args.OldFilePath)

Exit Select

Case ChangeType.Update

Console.WriteLine(

"-- Applied OVERWRITE for file " & args.OldFilePath)

Exit Select

Case ChangeType.Rename

Console.WriteLine((

"-- Applied RENAME for file " & args.OldFilePath & " as ") & args.NewFilePath)

Exit Select

End Select

End Sub

' Provide error information for any changes that were skipped.

Public Event eOnSkippedChange(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As SkippedChangeEventArgs)

Public Sub OnSkippedChange(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As SkippedChangeEventArgs)

RaiseEvent eOnSkippedChange(sender, args)

Console.WriteLine((

"-- Skipped applying " & args.ChangeType.ToString().ToUpper() & " for ") & (If(Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(args.CurrentFilePath), args.CurrentFilePath, args.NewFilePath)) & " due to error")

If args.Exception IsNot Nothing Then

Console.WriteLine(

" [" & args.Exception.Message & "]")

End If

End Sub

' By default, conflicts are resolved in favor of the last writer. In this example,

' the change from the source in the first session (replica 1), will always

' win the conflict.

Public Event eOnItemConflicting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As ItemConflictingEventArgs)

Public Sub OnItemConflicting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As ItemConflictingEventArgs)

RaiseEvent eOnItemConflicting(sender, args)

args.SetResolutionAction(ConflictResolutionAction.SourceWins)

Console.WriteLine(

"-- Concurrency conflict detected for item " & args.DestinationChange.ItemId.ToString())

End Sub

Public Event eOnItemConstraint(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As ItemConstraintEventArgs)

Public Sub OnItemConstraint(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As ItemConstraintEventArgs)

RaiseEvent eOnItemConstraint(sender, args)

args.SetResolutionAction(ConstraintConflictResolutionAction.SourceWins)

Console.WriteLine(

"-- Constraint conflict detected for item " & args.DestinationChange.ItemId.ToString())

End Sub

End

Class

</code>

and i call it from a test app like this 

Dim x As New ista.SynChronization.FileSynch

Debug.WriteLine(

Date.Now) ' "O:\Testprogs\Bin\ ' P:\Nepros\Bin\

x.SynchronizeFiles(

"O:\Testprogs\Bin\", "C:\Test\", Nothing)

Debug.WriteLine(

Date.Now)

MsgBox(

"ready ?")

P and O are 2 different network drives one containing a production version and one containing a test version
    however in the test version there might be some newer , older, same  or missing files as in production and vice versa i want my test app to synchronize local to the C:\Test\
    directory with the exact contents of one of these 2 directories and would like to switch between one of these 2 server stores 

Is this possible ? and if wich options should i then set ? as currently the files that do not exist in the other storage remain local and it looks like some local newer files are not overwritten by older files from the remote storage  . 

regards

Michel Posseth  

MCP
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:09 PM

Answers

• HI Michel -

I am not sure that I understand your scenario correctly - but one statement that stands out is that you say local newer files are not overwritten by older files from the remote storage. We use timestamps to detect which is the newest created file and it is not possible for that file to be overwritten by an older file unless you update the timestamp on the older file to be something newer.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:32 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• HI Michel -

I am not sure that I understand your scenario correctly - but one statement that stands out is that you say local newer files are not overwritten by older files from the remote storage. We use timestamps to detect which is the newest created file and it is not possible for that file to be overwritten by an older file unless you update the timestamp on the older file to be something newer.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Deepa ,

Your answer explains a lot ,,,,

My complete scenario is that i want to synchronize   .Net XCopy deployable production and test applications from a server to the client
    so user logs in to his box starts our custom system menu and chooses then if he wants to work with the production version or with a test version of the software
    the software is copied to the local location and then he can start his ( production or test )  work .

Currently i work with a custom method that calcultes a CRC on every file if the remote version is different as the local  it will be copied to the local location regardless if it is newer or older  the remote location should be leading , however this  custom process is slow and i hoped i could use the Synch Framework to speed things up

regards

Michel
    MCP
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:55 AM
  • I'm building a similar tool. I need something that synchronizes from a source location and pushes out to several destinations, prod/test servers. In my scenario, I never want changes to be replicated to my source, but I want all changes from source to happen on the target. Specifically, if I delete files from source I want those deletes to happen on the destination. Thus far I can synch out changes and new files without a problem, but if I delete something on the source, that delete doesn't seem to propagate to the target...

I'm assuming this has something to do with my options and SyncDirectionOrder. I've only been playing with this for a couple of hours, but have a quick answer would be awesome.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:08 AM