Can Not download from Microsoft.com RRS feed

• Question

• I have a weird error.  Maybe it's just weird to me.  I can not download ANY file from Microsoft.com.  I've tried numerous different downloads and I get an error in the new IE window every time.

Here's what I can tell you about my system / network:

I have 4 computers.  All have this problem.  1 is Alienware, 2 are Dell, 1 is HP.  All are running Validated Windows.  On all of the computers I can run the Validation tool.  On all of the computers I can run Windows Update.  On all of the computers I can download updates via Windows Update.  However, I can't download any file from microsoft.com outside of Windows Update.  For example: I'm trying to download the Directx End User Run time.  I can't.

I run Windows XP Pro and Home.  I use a Motorola SBG900 Wireless Gateway Cable Modem.  I have full access to the Internet.  I can access any email account, any other website, download any other file from any other site. 

I read thru the IE notes and cleared the cache for Temporary Internet Files.

What should I do?

What do you need to know?

Thank you,

Paul M Rogers

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• What is the error message you're seeing? Is it WGA related?
    Monday, July 31, 2006 10:27 PM
  • I don't know if you would consider this a WGA error or not.  I validate my Windows, it seemingly works, but then I can't download anything.  I've gone thru the error message below and have tried every step.

The error message is:

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

• Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    • If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    • To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    • See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
      1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
      2. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
      3. Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
    • Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    • If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:32 PM
  • What happens when you go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate?
    Monday, July 31, 2006 10:37 PM
  • Try the following:

Re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

3. At the Command Prompt, type: regsvr32 softpub.dll  , and then press ENTER.

4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.

6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.

7. Revisit the Windows Update web site. 

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:58 PM
  • Validation Complete! Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows. Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine Windows users.
    Monday, July 31, 2006 10:59 PM
  • Tried all this.  Still not working.

Monday, July 31, 2006 11:38 PM
  • Windows Update Troubleshooting Suggestions: http://www.updatexp.com/0x800A138F.html
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:00 AM
  • Hi all i have this same problem i hope someone can help me out i tried to do the regsvr32 ^^^^.dll (^^^ is the dll file name some got error code 0x80070005)
    Please Help me Out !!!!

I am really freaking out ... i cannot update anything on my computers 

Details of my computer >> Windows Vista Home Basic
                                            Genuine
                                            OEM Activated OS
                                            Windows Activated

This problem i found out only occurs to some peoples internet service provider 

- How to Fix -
    go to another place and connect to their internet and download the updates and install (this is all i got before getting help on my own internet)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Okay, I was having the same confounding problem for quite awhile and found a solution that finally worked for me on another board.  It could have to do, as it did for me, with a discrepancy between your computer's DNS settings and your router's DNS settings.  I just reconfigured the DNS settings in my network connections, and it thankfully solved the problem.  Here's how I did it:

1)  Go to Start, then Run, then type in 'CMD' (no quotes) and hit enter.  That will take you to a DOS prompt. 
    2)  Type 'ipconfig' and hit enter.  This will display a default gateway address.  Write that number down as displayed and type 'exit' to exit the prompt. 
    3)  Open your browser, clear the address bar completely, and enter the default gateway address you wrote down, in its exact form.  Hit enter and this will take you to your router settings.  Now you may be required to provide a username and password, but my information was simply 'user' for both.  It may say what to enter in these fields somewhere on the page, as mine did...I'm not sure how this step will apply to everyone.   
    4)  Once you are able to log in you will want to locate your gateway information (look for a "Gateway" tab).  Once you find this information, you will want to look for the router DNS addresses.  There will be three addresses, but you are only concerned with the two addresses that start with the same numbers.  Write these two addresses down as displayed.   
    5)  Close your browser and open your network connections on your computer (XP displays the little computer icon in the tray in the lower right corner, which you can right click to select 'Open Network Settings.'  Otherwise you'll have to go through Control Panel). 
    6)  Right click the network connection you are using (LAN or wireless) and click Properties.
    7)  In the scroll box, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it, and hit the Properties button. 
    8)  Now your DNS setting could be set to 'obtain the server address automatically' or it could be using DNS server addresses already specified.  Regardless, you want to make sure the "Use the following DNS server addresses" bubble is selected and then enter the two addresses you got from your router gateway.
    9)  Click OK, close out everything on your computer, and re-open your browser.  Attempt to download from Microsoft.com to see if it worked. 

This will fix things if you were experiencing the same root issue I was.  Good luck!

Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Thank you very much. I have been trying every other solutions for last two months but no one worked, this one worked very well. Thanks again
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:04 AM