Backup continueosly restarts - Unable to use machine RRS feed

• Question

• I One Care backup programs continues to start.  I can not turn it off, reconfigure it, and it doesn't end.  It does appear to be creating many files.  On top of this, because it is restarting every few seconds - forcing the OneCare screen to the front, I can not use any other applications unless I want to type 4 char - be interupted by OneCare, refocus the cursor only to type 4 more char and do it all over again.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:35 PM

Answers

• I'm having same problem on 3 out of 4 computers in my OneCare "Circle".  Started this morning, Sunday August 31. (tuneups were done last night on 30 August, on all three of these machines , all about the same time i.e. Late Saturday night).

NOW The "Monthly Report"  keeps poping up every 30 seconds or less (after I close it). .  Also when I try to configure OneCare, it says "BACK UP is running so  can't configure OneCare" ( and then  it says "Problem it has to close", which it does, but then starts right back up by itself.  Actualy I have back up set OFF, and always have had.

All three computers shows new updates installed WEEK OF: 30 August.  The 4th computer that does not curently have the problem shows NO UPDATES installed on 30 AUG. It shows last update installed was WEEK OF: August 9th. 

I think there must have been something in this 30 August update that has started this problem.   Anyone have similair Experience ??   Sent e-mail to OneCare Support re problem. Have not heard from them yet.  At first I though I had done something,  (I did update some programs on all three computers last night) but now that I see others have same problem, I believe it has to be a OneCare newly initiated problem, involving the last "Updated virus and Spyware" deffinitions of 30 August"  ???

Perry King.  Arvada CO. 

UPDATE:  30 minutes after posting the above, I manualy started a "Tuneup" on the 4th computer in the "Circle".  As soon as I started the Tuneup all other computers on my network started working normaly (i.e. The OneCare Monthly report stopped poping up every 15 seconds).  So I guess I have to take back that thought about the 30 Aug update).   I dont know what caused this to happen this time?.  I have had 5 computers in my "Circle" with Onecare now working just fine for 6 months now, and this has never happened before. ?  Hope that helps someone with thge same problems ?   If you just have one computer I don't know if this will relate to your situation, maybe try a manual "Tune Up" also.  Perry

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:01 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem.  It is driving me crazy!  Don't know what to do.
    Can't make the damn thing stop!
    I'm on a trial version and can't delete it either. I think it is a virus that One Care gave us and can't contact anyone
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Is it backup or the Monthly Report of OneCare?

Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:48 PM
  • I'm having same problem on 3 out of 4 computers in my OneCare "Circle".  Started this morning, Sunday August 31. (tuneups were done last night on 30 August, on all three of these machines , all about the same time i.e. Late Saturday night).

NOW The "Monthly Report"  keeps poping up every 30 seconds or less (after I close it). .  Also when I try to configure OneCare, it says "BACK UP is running so  can't configure OneCare" ( and then  it says "Problem it has to close", which it does, but then starts right back up by itself.  Actualy I have back up set OFF, and always have had.

All three computers shows new updates installed WEEK OF: 30 August.  The 4th computer that does not curently have the problem shows NO UPDATES installed on 30 AUG. It shows last update installed was WEEK OF: August 9th. 

I think there must have been something in this 30 August update that has started this problem.   Anyone have similair Experience ??   Sent e-mail to OneCare Support re problem. Have not heard from them yet.  At first I though I had done something,  (I did update some programs on all three computers last night) but now that I see others have same problem, I believe it has to be a OneCare newly initiated problem, involving the last "Updated virus and Spyware" deffinitions of 30 August"  ???

Perry King.  Arvada CO. 

UPDATE:  30 minutes after posting the above, I manualy started a "Tuneup" on the 4th computer in the "Circle".  As soon as I started the Tuneup all other computers on my network started working normaly (i.e. The OneCare Monthly report stopped poping up every 15 seconds).  So I guess I have to take back that thought about the 30 Aug update).   I dont know what caused this to happen this time?.  I have had 5 computers in my "Circle" with Onecare now working just fine for 6 months now, and this has never happened before. ?  Hope that helps someone with thge same problems ?   If you just have one computer I don't know if this will relate to your situation, maybe try a manual "Tune Up" also.  Perry

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I don't really know if its the reports or the backup.  It is creating additional files for the backup process.  It appears that many people are experiencing the same type of thing; all with similiar symptoms.  Mine too started Aug 31, after a scheduled backup.  I did get the virus checcker to eventually start, but it has found anything yet. 

Monday, September 1, 2008 2:50 AM
  • To those who might be experiencing the same issue.  As suggested, I performed a tuneup and the problems went away.  As mentioned by others, a this is a little tricky because the system indicates the you can't perform a tuneup when backup is running, Keep trying and eventually you will time it so that your request happens before the backup program restarts.  Good luck and thanks.

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:31 AM
  • Same problem solved by un-installing Live One then re-installed using original CD...seems to be working OK now.

Monday, September 1, 2008 1:46 PM
  • I was just not willing to go sofar as uninstalling and reinstalling on 5 computers to solve a problem that should have not been there in the first place.  I did consider it, but got problem to stop before that was neccessary.  Don't forget to check your new installation to see that your new install was updated by the system after install.  They are up to version: 2.5.2900.03 now.  (See version number, under help, in upper right HELP drop down menu.)  PK. 

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:09 AM