esata drive missing RRS feed

• Question

• I recently added a 1TB Western Digital My Book using an eSata interface.  Things were working fine for a few days, but the other day the drive showed up as "missing".  I rebooted and the problem went away.  Today, it happened again, but rebooting didn't solve the problem.

I haven't seen any obvious problems in the events logs.  They have the usual "backup failed" type of error, but nothing explaining why the system things the drive isn't connected.

Any idea what to look into here?

Cable length issue?  Something else? 
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:00 AM

All replies

• dwelzel said:

I recently added a 1TB Western Digital My Book using an eSata interface.  Things were working fine for a few days, but the other day the drive showed up as "missing".  I rebooted and the problem went away.  Today, it happened again, but rebooting didn't solve the problem.

I haven't seen any obvious problems in the events logs.  They have the usual "backup failed" type of error, but nothing explaining why the system things the drive isn't connected.

Any idea what to look into here?

Cable length issue?  Something else? 

Any chance it has a power-saving feature?  Perhaps it's shutting itself "off" to save energy.  There have been other users that have had problems with USB disappearing, but I don't recall seeing anyone say they had a problem with eSATA.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:07 AM