Internet Explorer 8 Crashed when connecting to Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Go to Mesh.com, log into the site. Attempt to log into a computer. Internet Explorer will crash, and restart.
    I had the activex controler for the remoting installed prior to installing IE8 RTM.   IE8 in Windows 7 build 7000 also crashes when I try to remote to a desktop

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 8.0.6001.18702
    Application Timestamp: 49b3ad2e
    Fault Module Name: USER32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a773
    Exception Code: c00000fd
    Exception Offset: 000206f1
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 1192764669

Friday, April 3, 2009 11:01 PM

Answers

• Note that I have 2 machines this happens with.  Both Vista.   One machine has Live mesh(the one I am connecting to) and the other does not have Live Mesh installed at all(the one that is crashing).   So collecting logs I don't think will work.
    I have submited this to the IE group with a capture of the crash, and they replied yesterday that they wil be forwarding the issue to the Mesh team.
    I will disble each addon one by one, and see if I still have an issue.  Have noticed that on each machine that I installed the activeX control in IE, I don't see the control listed in manage addons.
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:09 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:16 PM

All replies

• I have not seen this issue with IE8 on Vista or Windows 7. If you go to Live Desktop with IE in no add ons mode does it still crash?
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:32 AM
  • If I log in with addons disabled,  IE does not crash,  but the remote doesn't work either
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:33 AM
  • I know this will be a pain but if you disable the add ons one at a time you should be able to find the one that is causing the crash.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Hey Joe,

If you can we could definately use the help identifying which addon is causing your crash I'm sure the IE8 Beta team would love to know as well. 

Also if you can create a bug on Connect for me:  http://connect.microsoft.com/livemesh and attach your log files for Live Mesh to the feedback that would help us determine what's going wrong.

To collect the logs:

Start, All Programs, Live Mesh, Collect Live Mesh Logs
    It will put a file on your desktop called: LiveMeshLogs.cab

Thanks!

-Ken
    • Proposed as answer by kensm [msft] Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:05 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Note that I have 2 machines this happens with.  Both Vista.   One machine has Live mesh(the one I am connecting to) and the other does not have Live Mesh installed at all(the one that is crashing).   So collecting logs I don't think will work.
    I have submited this to the IE group with a capture of the crash, and they replied yesterday that they wil be forwarding the issue to the Mesh team.
    I will disble each addon one by one, and see if I still have an issue.  Have noticed that on each machine that I installed the activeX control in IE, I don't see the control listed in manage addons.
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:09 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:16 PM
  • There seems to be an update on Live Mesh website addon, and now IE8 no longer crashes.
    Thanks All
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Has anyone else been seeing this problem?  I am a different user, but still have this error on both of my machines when I try to remote from one to the other.  In each case, when I attempt to begin the remote sessions, IE 8 crashes and restarts the window (which of course only navigates back to the Live Mesh page).  This error makes this feature of mesh completely useless to me.  I have clicked "Check for Updates" with Live Mesh for both of my computers, and I get a message back saying that it is the latest version.

I am running both computers with the IE 8 version that comes with the Windows 7 RC.  Per the conversation on this thread I have tried disabling each of my IE add-ons to no avail.  As as noted on this thread, I do not see an add-on for Live Mesh.

Have we resolved this issue, and if so, what were the steps for a fix?

Thanks,

James
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:26 PM
  • About a month ago I was asked to update Live Mesh's addon for IE, when I remoted to a machine.  This appeared to have resolved the issue
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Joe.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:35 PM