Music Files - Last Accessed RRS feed

• General discussion

• I notice that every time I try to synchronize my local HD music folder with my external HD, it tries to overwrite every song that has been played between synchronizations. This is annoying and wasteful. I realize that the Windows OS is continually editing file metadata every time is accessed or modified, but needing to overwrite for this reason is silly. Even hobbyist programmers in their home basements know how to differentiate checksum values for the file data versus the checksums for the entire file, including metadata. Why wastefully rewrite the files when the file data did not change? At least put an option in to not overwrite a file just because it was used.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:05 AM

All replies

• Are you sure the files are not being modified in some way? Like are you using a player that updates the metadata (ID3v1 or ID3v2 for mp3s, for example) like a playcount or something each time it is played? I know that my OS doesn't update the files each time it is touched by a program, it's only if the file is modified in some way.

Cheers,

Toby

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I am using WMP11. Maybe it is modifying every file it touches, but I have never heard of that.

Here is what I do. I have a WD Passport external HD. I have all my music stored locally on my home PC. I copied all the files onto the Passport, and set the Music folders up as folder pairs. Then I copied them onto my work PC, and again, set up folder pairs. That way, any changes I make at work can be replicated onto the Passport, and later onto my home PC, and vice-versa. Simple, right?

I run a synchronization every few weeks, and it overwrites nearly every file that WMP11 played, thinking that it has changed. I can find no changes, and I cannot find any mention of WMP doing that.

I'm pretty sure that this is not a flaw in SyncToy, but in WMP, but I cannot find a way to fix it.

Thanks,

Owen

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:32 PM