Is it possible to archive a backup for offline long term storage? RRS feed

• Question

• When I get a new machine or do a complete reinstall of an existing one I like to do snapshot backups to my WHS box such as "all device drivers and patches installed" or "basic apps installed".  These backups are already marked to keep permanently.  These backups have long term value to me and I'd like to not lose them even though the regular daily/weekly/monthly backups are expendable.  They will also come in handy when I want to replace a primary desktop machine and repurpose the old one for something else like a kid use machine.

Is there any way to archive particular backups to a removable hard drive so I can store them offline, then reconnect that drive later and then do a network restore of the backup?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

• When I get a new machine or do a complete reinstall of an existing one I like to do snapshot backups to my WHS box such as "all device drivers and patches installed" or "basic apps installed".  These backups are already marked to keep permanently.  These backups have long term value to me and I'd like to not lose them even though the regular daily/weekly/monthly backups are expendable.  They will also come in handy when I want to replace a primary desktop machine and repurpose the old one for something else like a kid use machine.

Is there any way to archive particular backups to a removable hard drive so I can store them offline, then reconnect that drive later and then do a network restore of the backup?
    You cannot backup only specific backups.  However, you can backup the entire backup database to an external hard drive by either following the directions in the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief, or by using the BDBB add-in.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:04 PM