Edge server migration strategy R1 to R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm moving my organization from R1 to R2. We're going with a coexistence strategy where we'll move 100 users to R2. During the coexistence period, we'll have 2 pools (an R1 and an R2 pool). What is the recommended edge server coexistence strategy for this? Initially, I planned to implement an R2 edge server parallel to the current R1 edge, but as long as both pools service the same SIP domain, I think this is going to create issues for our external clients using autodiscovery and for our federated connections.

What is the recommended edge solution for this scenario?
    Can we upgrade the R1 edge and director to R2 and have them continue to service R1 pool users? 
    Can we leave the R1 edge and director in place and have it service the R2 users?
    Should we continue with the original plan and deploy R2 next to the R1 edge?

I've searched for a MSFT doc on this topic, but couldn't find it.

Thank you

Monday, September 21, 2009 8:19 PM

Answers

• Ideally you should upgrade the Edge Server to R2 after deploying the R2 Front-End server/pool.  The R2 Edge and Director servers will service both R1 and R2 pools until you've moved all users and removed the R1 servers.

Much of the details and requirements are covered in within the product documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd572505(office.13).aspx

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I am in the same process.  Essentially, there is NO side by side migration path for the Edge roles regardless of what Microsoft tells you.  I was in a position where I built up all new servers for R2, including a consolidated edge.  However, the edge servers are pointing to our R1 environment.  Now that my users are all on R2, my R1 front end is basically a director (unofficially).  This weekend I "cutover" to the R2 edge server, but in doing so, I have to cutover all the names, IP's, NAT's, Certificates, DNS including SRV records for auto discover etc from the R1 edge servers to the R2 edge server, basically building/configuring it at cutover time.  Not my favorite method.  I'm following my migration challenges online at http://federatetheworld.blogspot.com for what it's worth.  I plan on posting my results (good and bad) from this coming weekend's cutover - I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst (aka  having to fall back to my R1 edge). 

Good luck.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• Ideally you should upgrade the Edge Server to R2 after deploying the R2 Front-End server/pool.  The R2 Edge and Director servers will service both R1 and R2 pools until you've moved all users and removed the R1 servers.

Much of the details and requirements are covered in within the product documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd572505(office.13).aspx

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I am in the same process.  Essentially, there is NO side by side migration path for the Edge roles regardless of what Microsoft tells you.  I was in a position where I built up all new servers for R2, including a consolidated edge.  However, the edge servers are pointing to our R1 environment.  Now that my users are all on R2, my R1 front end is basically a director (unofficially).  This weekend I "cutover" to the R2 edge server, but in doing so, I have to cutover all the names, IP's, NAT's, Certificates, DNS including SRV records for auto discover etc from the R1 edge servers to the R2 edge server, basically building/configuring it at cutover time.  Not my favorite method.  I'm following my migration challenges online at http://federatetheworld.blogspot.com for what it's worth.  I plan on posting my results (good and bad) from this coming weekend's cutover - I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst (aka  having to fall back to my R1 edge). 

Good luck.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:18 PM