none
Career Advice(MCP and CCNA) RRS feed

• Question

• hi. I am going to do a diploma in Computer systems engineer and its program structure goes like this

• Administer unix-based computers
    • Assemble and test personal computers
    • Client-server networks
    • Commission computer systems
    • Design and implement internetworking systems
    • Electrical principles
    • Embedded systems
    • Engineering applications
    • Engineering mathematics
    • Enterprise networks
    • Install and configure internetworking systems
    • Local area networks
    • Microprocessors
    • Network operating systems
    • Network security
    • Network services
    • Object oriented coding
    • Project management
    • Web services
    • Wireless local area networks.

as u can see it say unix based which makes me confused. I have been advised to do MCP because most of the topic is related to the above structure.. How true is that??

help needed...

Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not clear about the recommendation to do MCP certificates as well as your diploma.

The MCP certificates are for Microsoft products.

They would cover many of the topis in your course, but using Microsoft products.

I can see there may be a benefit in studying both so you have specific Microsoft skills as well as a broader understanding of computer systems.

However I would think you are going to be busy with your diploma so while studying Microsoft technology would have benefits it would take up time better spent studying the course you intend to do.

Try and find out the reason for the recommendation.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Hi, PronoyP.

Looking at the list, I only see the first bullet point referencing UNIX.

I suspect that the other bullet points for the diploma will also include other types of computers, such as Linux, Windows, and Mac. As Ozzy suggested below, do some research.

It would be an extremely "narrow" diploma if it only covered all the topics above using only UNIX.

I am guessing your friend suggested that you supplement your diploma with some MCP Windows administration certifications to balance out the UNIX server administration. For any IT job, any Microsoft certifications you have can only help your resume float up near the top of the stack of resumes for first interviews. Here are some Windows Server certifications: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx

Good luck on your education and certification goals.

P.S. The last four bullet points (programming, project management, etc.), as well as some of the others, cannot be specific to one operating system. Java/.NET and project management are possible on all popular platforms.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Monday, April 4, 2011 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel KhanModerator Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:30 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:56 AM
    Answerer
  • hi. I am going to do a diploma in Computer systems engineer and its program structure goes like this

• Client-server networks
    • Electrical principles
    • Embedded systems
    • Enterprise networks
    • Local area networks
    • Microprocessors
    • Network security
    • Network services
    • Object oriented coding
    • Project management
    • Web services

as u can see it say unix based which makes me confused. I have been advised to do MCP because most of the topic is related to the above structure.. How true is that??

help needed...

Hi,

It seems like a all rounded for you :) basically i believe it is just a foundation of the listed above modules. However is wise that to go for professional IT certification, be it UNIX certified, Oracle Certified, microsoft certified or Cisco certified, it all depends what you really want to specialized at ? i mean is never too late to learn everything :) start asking yourself what you really want to specialized in ? if you are keen in IT project management then probably, CITPM ? ITIL or PMP :) otherwise if you are into Technical lines then you will have to consider what you really want to focus in :) because IT does have a wide range of stuff to work on :) God bless you

Cheers Guowen Su CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not clear about the recommendation to do MCP certificates as well as your diploma.

The MCP certificates are for Microsoft products.

They would cover many of the topis in your course, but using Microsoft products.

I can see there may be a benefit in studying both so you have specific Microsoft skills as well as a broader understanding of computer systems.

However I would think you are going to be busy with your diploma so while studying Microsoft technology would have benefits it would take up time better spent studying the course you intend to do.

Try and find out the reason for the recommendation.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Hi, PronoyP.

Looking at the list, I only see the first bullet point referencing UNIX.

I suspect that the other bullet points for the diploma will also include other types of computers, such as Linux, Windows, and Mac. As Ozzy suggested below, do some research.

It would be an extremely "narrow" diploma if it only covered all the topics above using only UNIX.

I am guessing your friend suggested that you supplement your diploma with some MCP Windows administration certifications to balance out the UNIX server administration. For any IT job, any Microsoft certifications you have can only help your resume float up near the top of the stack of resumes for first interviews. Here are some Windows Server certifications: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx

Good luck on your education and certification goals.

P.S. The last four bullet points (programming, project management, etc.), as well as some of the others, cannot be specific to one operating system. Java/.NET and project management are possible on all popular platforms.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Monday, April 4, 2011 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel KhanModerator Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:30 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:56 AM
    Answerer

• Client-server networks
    • Electrical principles
    • Embedded systems
    • Enterprise networks
    • Local area networks
    • Microprocessors
    • Network security
    • Network services
    • Object oriented coding
    • Project management
    • Web services

help needed...

Hi,

It seems like a all rounded for you :) basically i believe it is just a foundation of the listed above modules. However is wise that to go for professional IT certification, be it UNIX certified, Oracle Certified, microsoft certified or Cisco certified, it all depends what you really want to specialized at ? i mean is never too late to learn everything :) start asking yourself what you really want to specialized in ? if you are keen in IT project management then probably, CITPM ? ITIL or PMP :) otherwise if you are into Technical lines then you will have to consider what you really want to focus in :) because IT does have a wide range of stuff to work on :) God bless you

Cheers Guowen Su CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:46 AM