I have read the posts and contacted support.. Stephen can you help?? RRS feed

• Question

• I am at my wits end with this one care and printer sharing issue. Here is the situation.I have three computers.

Wife: Toshiba Laptop Windows Vista Home Premium
    Mine: Dell Inspiron Laptop. Vista Home Premium
    Home: Dell Inspiron Desktop Visa Home Premium

Printer: Kodak AIO 5100

Currently I can print from all computers if plugged directly into the printer. So the drivers are all installed and software. After reading the posts I have made sure that printer shareing is enabled on all three computers. I have gone to the advance tabs on all three and enabled the sub net and internet ports. After talking to tech support I disabled the firewall and was able to connect with my laptop to and print through the network.

My Wifes laptop is still unable to connect. When I try to add a printer through network setting the printer I want to install is listed. When I double click on it I get an error that the computer cannot connect to the printer and to make sure th eprinter is connected and turned on. I guess based on this scenario there is a disconnect between my wifes computer and the desktop. I have tried turning my wifes firewall off and even making it a hub PC. The Desktop is a hub PC as well.

Prior to this I was running all three on one network with a desktop using XP and had no problems. Basically it has to be something with One Care.

Any suggestion?

Jason

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:40 PM

Answers

•  

I would remove the printer from the printer menu of all the laptops.  Then pick the one you want it plugged into all the time, and add it again through the Add printer Wizard.  Make sure the the printer is then shared through Onecare.  Your other laptops should tell you that a new printer is available, and you should then be able to install and new instance, and print.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:34 PM

All replies

• Are all 3 computers running OneCare?
    Are all 3 computers running 32 bit versions of Vista?
    If you turn off the firewall on the PC hosting the printer, only your wife's PC cannot use the printer?
    You are setting up Printer Sharing manually. Have you enabled the Printer Sharing feature within OneCare so that OneCare offers the printer to the other computers in your Circle?
    What is the status of your support case? If it wasn't resolved, it should still be active. Do you have a case number?
    -steve
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:15 PM
  • All three are running One care

All three are 32 bit

If I turn off the firewall only my wifes computer cannot print. With firewall on neither laptop can print.

All three have one care printer sharing enabled. In fact when I search for available printers while setting up the network I see two available. Home-PC Kodak AIO 5100 and Home-PC Kodak AIO 5100-oc. I have tried connecting to both.

Case has been escalated. I have the case number if you would like me to post it.

It is just frustrating because I can not for the life of me figure out why this is not working.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information. If the case has been escalated, there is no need to post the ID unless you stop hearing from support or have a problem with support's efforts.

In the standard Windows Printer Sharing, you won't be able to use the ...-oc printer, that one is reserved for use by OneCare itself.

In OneCare, on the Printer Sharing tab under Change Settings, how is that configured? Is it set to automatically Share Printer with the Circle? Have you tried the Refresh and Clear buttons in there on your wife's PC?

Is it possible that there is another firewall active on her PC?

-steve

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Her computer is set up to automatically share printers with the circle. That box is checked. I have refreshed and i did the clear a couple of times. When I refresh the printer shows up but she is not able to access the printer. So it is in our circle. The printer also shows up in the add printer via wireless. I just cannot connect. She is not running any other firewall. All that is on the computer is OneCare because  Before we added OneCare we were able to print off her computer.

As far as the escalated problem we are playing phone tag. I just want to try to solve it as soon as possible because I have to listen to my wife grip at me about it.

It is also a personal mission and I feel like there is no reason why this is happening. Two out of the three are able to share. This just does not make sense. 

Jason
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:16 PM
  • I certainly understand the desire to get it resolved quickly! I do tech support for my wife, too. In fact, I try to not change anything on her PC as it is then my fault when something happens!

I just realized that the model number includes AIO - is it a multi-function Print/FAX/Scanner? I don't see why it won't print, but suspect that FAX and Scan will be a problem over the network with the OneCare firewall.

You noted that the box in OneCare for Printer sharing with the Circle PCs is checked. Is it also checked on your PC, where the printer is physically connected?

And you said that you could use the printer from your laptop to the host PC when you turned off the OneCare firewall. What are the settings on that laptop for OneCare Printer Sharing? Does it now work when the OneCare firewall is on for your laptop and the PC hosting the printer?

When you turned off the OneCare firewall, did you turn it off on both your wife's PC and the host PC? And, for the advanced firewall settings for File and Printer Sharing, do you have the subnet *and* Internet options checked on *both* the host PC and the two laptops?

I guess that the way I'd approach this would be to go to OneCare and stop sharing the Printer via OneCare. That is, turn off OneCare printer sharing on all 3 PCs. Then, I'd configure the advanced firewall setting to allow File and Printer Sharing for local subnet and Internet on all 3 computers. Next, I'd share the printer on the PC to which it is attached by going to Printers in Control Panel. And, I'd then use the add printer wizard to select a network printer on the 2 laptops, selecting the shared printer - not the one with the OC suffix on the name. If that failed to work, I'd turn off the OneCare firewall on all 3 computers and try to add the printer again on the two laptops. I might consider going to the printer properties on the host PC and *not* sharing it and then setting it back to shared, then trying to connect once more from the laptops. Assuming that it worked at any point in this setup, I'd turn the firewall back on at the host PC first, confirming that printing still works again from both laptops and then turning the firewall back on at the laptops and confirming again. If that all worked, I'd either leave it be or I'd remove the printer from the two laptops, then stop sharing it from Control Panel/Printers on the host. Then, on the host PC, configure OneCare to share the attached printer(s), not touching the printer properties for sharing in Control Panel/Printers again. And, finally, turning the feature for OneCare printer sharing on in each of the two laptops to see if the printer is found and offered (by OneCare) and then accepting the offered printer in OneCare on each of the laptops.

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:36 PM
  •  

I would remove the printer from the printer menu of all the laptops.  Then pick the one you want it plugged into all the time, and add it again through the Add printer Wizard.  Make sure the the printer is then shared through Onecare.  Your other laptops should tell you that a new printer is available, and you should then be able to install and new instance, and print.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:34 PM