File faliure in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a WHS and set it up with no problems.  Now when I start to move files over to the server is where the problem starts.  I randomly get files that turn the server from healthy to at risk and I know the files are fine.  I get the message that the files are failing, it tells me the name of the files and and stops duplication on the shared folder that they are stored in.  I have many other files are just about the same as these files but for some reason the server doesn't like them.  Is it a corruption bug or something else?  What is the fix.  The only way to make the server healthy again is to delete the files.  Even a rename works for a minute then the old file somehow with the old name comes back.

Please help or I am returning this thing within a week for a refund. 
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:37 PM

Answers

• This sounds like an issue that was seen shortly after WHS was released. It was fixed in one of the early updates that are distributed through Windows Update. Please make sure you apply all required updates to your server. You can do so in the WHS Console: open the Settings tab and you'll find a button to check for updates.

Also, you should consider turning on Automatic Updates on your server if you have them turned off.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• Barnyard1029 said:

I just bought a WHS and set it up with no problems.  Now when I start to move files over to the server is where the problem starts.  I randomly get files that turn the server from healthy to at risk and I know the files are fine.  I get the message that the files are failing, it tells me the name of the files and and stops duplication on the shared folder that they are stored in.  I have many other files are just about the same as these files but for some reason the server doesn't like them.  Is it a corruption bug or something else?  What is the fix.  The only way to make the server healthy again is to delete the files.  Even a rename works for a minute then the old file somehow with the old name comes back.

Please help or I am returning this thing within a week for a refund. 

Do the files have strange characters in the names (symbols for example)?  If not, I would guess you might have a bad hard drive.  You could try running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server and see if it finds any errors.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:50 PM
  • All the bad files have a tilda "~" in the file names.  Even when I resave the files as a name without the tilda in them it still happens.  If it is a bad drive is it possible it came from the factory that way as I just got the server two days ago and just started loading my files onto it.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:53 PM
  • This sounds like an issue that was seen shortly after WHS was released. It was fixed in one of the early updates that are distributed through Windows Update. Please make sure you apply all required updates to your server. You can do so in the WHS Console: open the Settings tab and you'll find a button to check for updates.

Also, you should consider turning on Automatic Updates on your server if you have them turned off.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Barnyard1029 said:

All the bad files have a tilda "~" in the file names.  Even when I resave the files as a name without the tilda in them it still happens.  If it is a bad drive is it possible it came from the factory that way as I just got the server two days ago and just started loading my files onto it.

I know that other users have had issues with ~ in file names.  You say you resave the files.  Are you renaming the files before you copy them back to the server, or are you renaming them while they are on the server?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I have done all that you have said.  Automatic updates are enabled and I ran all the updates under the settings tab.  The latest on it installed I believe was the Power Pack 1.  If it is not going to store and protect my files then it is not worth me having.  My old Buffalo NAS which currently houses my files had never had an issue with any file I threw at it and that is where these files are coming from now.  I don't get what's going on.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:12 PM
  • I have tried both kariya21.  I have resaved them on the server with a different name and off the server and then copied them over to the server.  I understand it's a problem but that's not the point.  Something so basic as copying a file to the server should just work if the file is not corrupt which they are not.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Barnyard1029 said:

I have tried both kariya21.  I have resaved them on the server with a different name and off the server and then copied them over to the server.  I understand it's a problem but that's not the point.  Something so basic as copying a file to the server should just work if the file is not corrupt which they are not.

It normally does.  As Ken said, there was an update a while ago to address that.  Can you please post a sample of the error message you are seeing?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:34 PM
  • I'm currently at work.  As soon as I get home I will post the error message.  I thank you all for your help.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:38 PM
  • So I checked a few things and right now the server is still green.  For whatever reason the server was creating duplicate files and changing the names so they included a ~ in the name.  I deleted these files from the original source folder and then copied the folder over to the server and so far they have not come back and the server is still healthy.  I think there is a bug somewhere when copying over certain files or a mass quantity of files or something.  I will be writing back over the weekend if the problem persists.  Keeping fingers crossed.  Thanks.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 9:23 PM