Multiple location question/thoughts RRS feed

• Question

• I work from 3 different homes depending on the time of year.  I am usually at one home for 3-5 months at a time.  One home has cable broadband, one has satellite sort of broadband (with HIGH ping times) with a 250 MEGAbyte (NOT GIGAbyte) daily data usage limit (or it slows to dial up speeds), the last location has 28.8k (sometimes worse) dial up internet access with none of the web page acceleration features available (it's in the deep boonies).

I have a laptop (Core 2 duo, Vista Home Prem 32 bit) which I use when traveling and each location has a desktop (location with cable has Vista Home Premium (32 bit) on high end PC and is location where WHS is located; location with satellite has XPP on a P4 3 yr old PC; and lastly the dial up location is running XPP on a P3 PC).

My data files vary from the large 5-6gb PST file, to most other data files being (Excel/Word/Office 2007) <1-5mb/file, but LOTS of files). 

All that said, does anyone have any suggestions on "how to keep it all together" with my data synchronized regardless of the location I am at requiring minimal intervention?

Maybe there is a way I can copy the data from WHS (which has a single 1 tb drive in it currently which I will not add more drives to until a few months after the WHS data corruption issue is resolved) to a USB/eSata drive and then copy the data to each of the respective PC's when I arrive at that location and do the same as I travel back?

I am not adverse to upgrading hardware/software within reason.  However the internet connections cannot be improved due to each areas respective connection limitations.

I am not adverse to keeping the location with cable broadband connected to a running WHS system though I would prefer not to for several reasons.  Note that there would be no human (myself included) in that home for 3-5 months at a time.

Am not an expert though I did perform PC phone and onsite tech support (PC/MS DOS & NOVELL LAN) for about 7 years in the 1980's (no dinosaur comments please  ) and have to a limited degree kept up with technology so I am not a TOTAL neophyte.  I am involved in a datacomm var biz but not from the tech side.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:01 PM

Answers

• Are you on Hughesnet for Satellite?

If so, keep in mind that they do have an overnight period where it is free for all and you can download all you want.  As such, you may find it usefult to use some sort of scheduling or a download manager when you're at that location.

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:08 PM
  •  brubber wrote:

In your situattion I would use Synctoy (free from MS) or Robocopy (also free from MS) to sync the files to an external disk (or two in case one fails). Especially Synctoy is very easy to setup.

Please be aware of the currently not fixed WHS data corruption bug : Update on KB #946676 - Data Corruption Bug

Thanks Brubber, this will work combined with the other posts.  And thanks for the bug reminder, which is why I am using only a single 1-TB drive which is redundant to the data on the individual PC's, there is nothing on WHS other than what is also on the individ PC's, so if WHS corrupts itself the data is safe on the PC's.  Not to stray off thread, but though the bug is an ugly foundational issue there is a sort of workaround (use 1 drive until the fix comes).  I guess there is a price to pay for being a relatively early adopter.  At the moment, for my usage, it's not an issue.  More of an issue to me is awaiting the release of the WHS update which will allow me to backup the server (from what I understand), which would also somewhat blunt the bug issue.

Thanks again. 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:42 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

I would be very tempted to use one of the many on-line data storage facilities. Either Carbonite or, using the Add-In - Jungle Disk. Using that, and something like 'Offline Files' might be suitable.

Colin

Thanks Colin, will be using this with the other posts to solve my need.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:44 AM

All replies

• In your situattion I would use Synctoy (free from MS) or Robocopy (also free from MS) to sync the files to an external disk (or two in case one fails). Especially Synctoy is very easy to setup.

Please be aware of the currently not fixed WHS data corruption bug : Update on KB #946676 - Data Corruption Bug

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I would be very tempted to use one of the many on-line data storage facilities. Either Carbonite or, using the Add-In - Jungle Disk. Using that, and something like 'Offline Files' might be suitable.

Colin

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Are you on Hughesnet for Satellite?

If so, keep in mind that they do have an overnight period where it is free for all and you can download all you want.  As such, you may find it usefult to use some sort of scheduling or a download manager when you're at that location.

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:08 PM
  • sedin26 - you are indeed correct, I use Hughesnet at 1 location.  Excellent thought.  Of course outside "normal work",  I day trade during the day with 1 second updates on various charts which eats up the pool of data allowed at normal speeds.  I can use your idea and the tools as mentioned by the other users posts and my issue is fixed.  Thank you much!  Great forum.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:33 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

In your situattion I would use Synctoy (free from MS) or Robocopy (also free from MS) to sync the files to an external disk (or two in case one fails). Especially Synctoy is very easy to setup.

Thanks Brubber, this will work combined with the other posts.  And thanks for the bug reminder, which is why I am using only a single 1-TB drive which is redundant to the data on the individual PC's, there is nothing on WHS other than what is also on the individ PC's, so if WHS corrupts itself the data is safe on the PC's.  Not to stray off thread, but though the bug is an ugly foundational issue there is a sort of workaround (use 1 drive until the fix comes).  I guess there is a price to pay for being a relatively early adopter.  At the moment, for my usage, it's not an issue.  More of an issue to me is awaiting the release of the WHS update which will allow me to backup the server (from what I understand), which would also somewhat blunt the bug issue.

Thanks again. 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:42 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

I would be very tempted to use one of the many on-line data storage facilities. Either Carbonite or, using the Add-In - Jungle Disk. Using that, and something like 'Offline Files' might be suitable.

Colin

Thanks Colin, will be using this with the other posts to solve my need.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:44 AM