Can the {keyword} param be used in the destination URL? RRS feed

• Question

• AdCenter allows this to be done, however I don't think it is actually happening for my URL's.  Here is an example. 

I have an ad campaign running for Amazing Smoothies, a product from ClickBank.com  Click Bank allows for a tracking id in their urls at the very end noted by the tid=

http://readhow.smoothies.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=Healthy-Snacks-LS25

In this example I have put the adgoup name in the tid so I would at least know which ad group the sale originated from, but what I really would like to do is this:

http://readhow.smoothies.hop.clickbank.net/?tid={keyword}

AdCenter allows me to do this, however on a recent sale the TID at Click Bank was blank.  On sales where I have hard coded the TID with a value such as TID=Healthy-Snacks-LS25 they are coming through.  So I am wondering if this is an AdCenter issue not putting in the {keyword} param?  Now, expanding on this further I would also like to use the {querystring} param in this manner to get data on the actual query string, not just the keyword match.

If this is not possible, you might want to add in some kind of restriction within the destination URL box to not allow these params to be entered there.

Thanks,

Smile dave

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

I checked with our resident parameter expert, Charles Thrasher on this and he said:

Yes you can use {keyword} parameter in the destination URL as you suggest in your example. You can also use {QueryString} in the URL . (Parameter aren’t case sensitive.) However, you can’t nest parameters one inside the other. For example, Param1 can’t be http://readhow.smoothies.hop.clickbank.net?keyword={keyword}. Instead, additional parameters are added to the ad’s destination URL.

For example, within the UI, the destination URL might look like “{param1}&keyword={keyword}&querystring={querystring}.”

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:09 PM
  • I played around with this one some more and I think the spaces in the keyword or querystring are messing up my tracking deal, so I have started converting them all to destination url {param1} where my tracking id equals the keyword without spaces.  It takes longer to set up but I really want to track as closely as I can which keywords are making the sales.

Thanks,

Smile dave

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:21 AM

All replies

• I generally hardcode the tracking variable.  A little spreadsheet work never hurt anyone. Wink

Could the spaces in 2+ word combos be causing it to not track?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:36 PM
  • I am not sure about the spaces deal, that is why in the ones I hardcoded in, I didn't use any spaces.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I checked with our resident parameter expert, Charles Thrasher on this and he said:

Yes you can use {keyword} parameter in the destination URL as you suggest in your example. You can also use {QueryString} in the URL . (Parameter aren’t case sensitive.) However, you can’t nest parameters one inside the other. For example, Param1 can’t be http://readhow.smoothies.hop.clickbank.net?keyword={keyword}. Instead, additional parameters are added to the ad’s destination URL.

For example, within the UI, the destination URL might look like “{param1}&keyword={keyword}&querystring={querystring}.”

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:09 PM
  • I played around with this one some more and I think the spaces in the keyword or querystring are messing up my tracking deal, so I have started converting them all to destination url {param1} where my tracking id equals the keyword without spaces.  It takes longer to set up but I really want to track as closely as I can which keywords are making the sales.

Thanks,

Smile dave

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:21 AM
  •  Carolyn- MSFT wrote:

Hi Dave,

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Okay, I'm sorry Carolyn but I am unclear asto the format you are suggesting.

Lets say my Keyword is "StarStruck," How exactly would I type the destination URL under my UI?

Do I insert my keyword into one of the places you typed the word 'keyword?'  Is there a unique querystring I need to enter or do I actually type the words "querystring"?

Do I type a physical destination URL into this as well?  For Ex. Say my Destination URL is "http://www.StarStruck.com," How would I type this line of code for that Destination URL and use the tracking code/querystring/param1 for my "StarStruck" keyword?  Could to type the line of code out that I would use by entering my Destination URL and my keyword into the example you listed above?

What if my keyword is more than 1 word and has spaces within it?  Do I type it without spaces or do I use a "-" between the words in place of actual spaces?

I am sorry if this is confusing, if you have any questions asto what exactly I am asking, Please reply to this or Email me directly at CMPallman@sbcglobal.net or message me through AIM at StarStruckMktng. Also, My toll-free phone number is 800-825-3164 Ext.218

Thank you in advance.

Christine at Star Struck ProTeam

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:41 PM
  •  venz wrote:

I played around with this one some more and I think the spaces in the keyword or querystring are messing up my tracking deal, so I have started converting them all to destination url {param1} where my tracking id equals the keyword without spaces.  It takes longer to set up but I really want to track as closely as I can which keywords are making the sales.

Thanks,

dave

Venz, how exactly do you have your Destination URL typed-in as? Could you give me an example?  I know you used the "-" symbol in-place of spaces in your keywords but then you said it stopped working properly and had to start using your keyword phrases typed in without spaces... Will it actually track information for my keyword "Red Sox Jerseys" when I type the keyword as RedSoxJerseys without spaces?

I hope you actually come back to this thread and read this because I could use to help you.

Christine at Star Struck ProTeam

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Hello Christine,

Sorry I have been incredibly busy this summer and have not posted here in a while.  I am getting ready to launch a new website soon so I will be back as I fire up another AdCenter campaign to promote it...and um, make the internet millions I have always dreamed of, hehehehe.

I found you can use the {keyword} param in the destination URL.  What I was trying to use it for was my tracking code at Click Bank to tell what keywords were making me sales.  What I found was Click Bank didn't like the spaces, nor does it like Looooong keywords.  So eventually I abandoned this technique.  Also, in order to set it up to work I had a seperate routing software piece on one of my webservers and it was just to complex for real use.

Now I thought there was code which AdCenter provides to stick in your website to help track what keywords folks used to get there.  But right now as I look for it I can't seem to find it....but I am a bit rusty being gone a few weeks.  Smile  I could show you where it is over at AdWords, hehehehe. 

Anyway, what I think is actualy more valuable (and this is just my humble opinion) is tracking the query string.  In the end this is what I want to be able to track so I can tailor my campaigns and keywords to match as exactly as possible what people are really searching for.  When every penny counts the more you can laser target your campaigns the better off you will be.

Hope this helps.

Smile dave.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:45 PM
  •  

Hey Dave, Thanks.  I see what you are trying to do and I am pretty good with AdWords but I seem to be having nothing but issues with adCenter.

I can't figure out exactly what format to type my Destination URL's in.

First I started by assigning the destination URL, for my home page directed keywords as: www.StarStruck.com, and used the same www.StarStruck.com destination URL for my home page related AdTexts (the ads that the person sees,) and for some reason, when I used msn.com to find my keywords, and clicked the ads, i got sent to an error page meaning the URL didn’t work (and I don’t know WHY because it shows the Destination URL's as our homepage URL.

Then I decided to figure this out by changing the adText Destination URL to the pull down menu option 'Use Keyword's Destination URL," (or whatever it is called) and then it told me "To create a Destination URL associated with customer selected keywords on keywords page, click parameters column and select 'Insert parameter {param1} in the keywords column' type the Destination URL to provide when a customer searches those keywords,"

This confused me, I was entering the Destination URL into the Keyword Destination URL {param1} column, but do I need to manually type {param1} before my Destination URL in this column?  Or do I just type in www.StarStruck.com in the destination URL {param1} column (located next to Dynamic Text {param2} and Dynamic Text {param3} columns) or do I actually type in {param1}www.StarStruck.com into this Column?

Also, When I go into edit my Ads (the ones displayed to customers searching msn.com) and hover over the ad title (the blue link part that the customer clicks to display the destination URL for each ad) it shows that the link directs users to a URL that is something like http://adcenter.microsoft.......... blah blah when I feel it should read something like http://www.StarStruck.com and I think this may be why, when clicking my ads, I get directed to the "Internet Explorer Error, Webpage does not exist" page...

Any tips or help you can give me?  And I only posted in your thread last week, so even though you haven’t been online, I had only just posted so no need to apologize for not being around for so long! Smile

Thanks Dave!!

Christine

Helllpp!! Smile

Monday, August 20, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Howdy Christine,

I think I am following you and for me a picture is easier to express than words so I took some screen shots.

This first one is just a normal set up for an ad.  It has a display URL and a destination URL in the ad set-up.  With this type of set-up all the keywords in this group would go to my destination URL when this ad is displayed at Live.

http://www.venzandsons.com/adcenter/ad_normal.jpg

Now this set up is a little bit trickier, I use the {param1} variable in the destination URL in the ad set-up.  If you do this then every keyword you have must have a destination URL in the {param1} field.

http://www.venzandsons.com/adcenter/ad_param1.jpg

http://www.venzandsons.com/adcenter/keywords_with_param1.jpg

The power of using the {param1} variable is that you can send differnt keywords to different destination URL's.  It sounds to me like you want all your traffic going to http://www.StarStruck.com right?  In that case I would remove the param1 stuff all together and just go with first option.

There is even one more twist to this if you want to get real fancy.  You can have more than one ad running at a time, so one ad could be set up with the normal destination URL and the other could have the param1.  It would have to be some serious split/keyword testing for this to be done, but it is possible.  For what I am running now I have gone back to the basic destination URL in my ads.

For the issue you are seeing in the ad manager where you are getting the wrong URL, I can't recreate that, but here is a screen shot if what I think you said, correct me if I have it wrong.  In this shot my mouse is hovering over the ad Title in the upper right hand corner and the destination URL is appearing in my lower left status bar.

http://www.venzandsons.com/adcenter/ad_title_hover.jpg

I hope this helps, if not let me know and we can keep trying to figure it out.

Smile dave.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Oh WOW that was a detailed response, and thank you so much for taking the time to take screen shots of what you were explaining, that really helped considering I thought I had that param1 thing figured out, and after looking @ your screen shots, I realize I really don't have them correct, and if they are, they are in a different format than yours.  I will modify mine to look like yours.

And I have 1 Campaign/AdGroup that brings all traffic to http://www.starstruck.com, and have several other AdGroups that are Item Specific, and the Destination URL's are the URL for the Item on our website. ie: http://www.starstruck.com/redsoxjersey5.html  <-- FAKE URL.

So I need to have quite a few different Destination URLs as my Account looks to be much larger than yours.  My Google AdWords account has hundreds of keywords and I add more and more everyday.

I will let you know if I have any more problems but I think that I see what you are trying to show me.  Thank you SO much for your time!  Its appreciated!

Christine

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Hey Christine,

No problem I am happy to help whenever I can.

Smile Dave.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Dave: I'm a bit late to this party but your question is an interesting one and it doesn't seem anyone addressed it specifically.

What you're probably experiencing in the value transmitted by the {keyword} parameter or even {querystring} is the fact that these values are passed as part of a URL and the HTTP protocol doesn't allow spaces in a URL. Spaces are automatically translated into hexadecimal format so a space becomes %20. It's called URL encoding. For Clickbank or any other analytics program to understand the data being passed (keyword, querystring or whatever), it needs to URL decode the value, replacing the %20 value with an actual space.

In your case, an alternative to passing the {keyword} value is the {OrderItemID} parameter. In other words, the unique ID associated with each keyword. You'll see the OrderItemID when you download your ad groups from adCenter. The OrderItemID has no spaces and shouldn't encounter the URL encode issue. You can then compare your Clickbank report against your spreadsheet to see which keyword is earning you money. You can also pass the {MatchType} parameter (c=content, e=exact, p=phrase, b=broad) so you know which match type of the keyword converted.

URL encoding may - or may not - be the cause of this particular problem but it's probably the cause of similar problems and it's worth paying attention to.

Cheers,

Charles

Micro Marketing

Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:31 AM