What are the steps to restore a PC? RRS feed

• Question

1. I booted off the CD just fine, and it initialized WindowsPE.

2. I kept the default Time and keyboard settings, and it found all my drivers (Intel LAN port and HDD).  I click CONTINUE

3. The Restore Computer Wizard runs, and I successfully authenticate to my Home Server.

4. It detects my current computername and defaults to it when it asks "Select the computer that you want to restore:"

5. I select the most recent backup to restore (which has green check and says Complete) and click Next.

Then it just sits there with an hourglass...I thought it was doing it's thing and left it along for several hours..  But after reading the forums it seems like there should be more menus like picking a volume, and estimating time to completion. What's the next window that I should be expecting?  What are possible failure points?

Sunday, July 1, 2007 1:36 AM

All replies

• Is there no one that can comment on this?

Someone must have done successful restore of client PCs.  I just want to know what are the next steps in the process so I have an idea of where to start looking to debug.

Does it examine the hard drive and format/partition it?  Is it trying to validate my backup on the Home Server?
    Monday, July 2, 2007 5:59 PM
  • The wizard progresses as follows:

6. Choose Volumes to Restore

This screen usually takes a few minutes to appear. You select the source and destination volumes for the restore.

7. Confirm the Restore Configuration.

8. Restoring volumes.

A status bar shows progress, along with a times estimate.

The restore completes and then its time to reboot.

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Doc,

Are you attempting to restore to the same drive or a new drive?

If its a new drive, the drive must be the same size or larger, if its smaller in size the restore just hangs ( I did the same thing when testing opps )

Cheers

Monday, July 2, 2007 9:09 PM
  •  DocGuy wrote:

The wizard progresses as follows:

6. Choose Volumes to Restore

This screen usually takes a few minutes to appear. You select the source and destination volumes for the restore.

7. Confirm the Restore Configuration.

8. Restoring volumes.

A status bar shows progress, along with a times estimate.

The restore completes and then its time to reboot.

Thanks DocGuy,

Well, I'm using exactly same hard drive, with Windows already on it.  Just wanted to overwrite it with latest backup for testing.

So if I never get the window to choose the volume, where do you think the error lies?  I've gotten stuck at same point on 2 separate clients.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Hi Howard,

Can you please run TALQ on the server and post the CAB numbers so we can investigate further?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:06 PM