Backups don't seem to be working correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have 242 GB of files set to backup. Yet on the drive they are backed up to only 236 GB are used. Why is this? Are they compressed, that would seem kind of odd? Also, I'm not able to view what on the actual backup drive?

Another quick thing: I used Remote Access for the first time. When I was finished I wanted to logoff to close the session but no logoff button is available. In the WHS world does just closing the window "fully" close the session.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 6, 2012 1:38 PM

All replies

• 1. What backup are you talking about? Server backup? Client backup?

2. Right there under your name on the Remote Access web site is the text "Sign out". Did you try clicking that? What happened when you did?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 6, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Server & Shared folder backup

I forgot to add the detail remotely access the Dashboard.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Here's my full questions without the fragments:

I have 242 GB of files set to backup. I am backing up both the server and the shared folders using the built-in server backup. Yet on the drive they are backed up to only 236 GB are used. Why is this? Are they compressed, that would seem kind of odd?

My concern is that not all files are being backed up because of the difference in actual file size.
    Also, is there anyway to view the backed up files on the backup HD? Does WHS 2011 format this drive so it can only be used with WHS 2011?

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:13 PM
  • I have a box with an E: drive.  If I right clcik it properties it says 8gb.  It backs up less than a gb.  If I open drive E: and right clcik on each of the folders all I find is less than a gb.  So I am confident my stuff is being backed up, I just have no clue why one screen says 8gb.  Also it will not backup your pagefile.

You can "read" the disc on any server 08 R2 box.  start a restore and open folders to "see" what it has.

Grey
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:25 PM
  • But I'm not seeing the same totals, they should at least equal the same amount. When I do my work backups the data size equals the backup size...
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:52 PM
  • What I am trying to point out is you probably actually have 236gb of data, not 242 gb.  How do you know you have 242gb of data? 

All I am saying is if I right click on my Drve E: it says 8gb used, and it is telling a lie.

If I go to a cmd prompt and type E:> dir /s it says 616,000,000 bytes.  I did a restore of Drive E: to a folder named test.  Everything is there

I never knew this till now....If you Highlight all the files/folders(CTRL-A), you can right click and get properties of what is highlighted.  What my F: drive says is not the same either :)

Grey
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:37 PM
  • I'm really not sure how else to point it out to you. I select data to be backed up by clicking checkboxes. It says it will need xxx for the backup. I backup the said files. xxx should be the same amount. I can tell you it is on all my 03 and 08 servers. Without a logical explanation, saying not all files were backed up seems to be a logical answer to the issue.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:56 PM
  • I just ran through the wizard in the console for server backup.  On no screen does it show it will need xxx for backup
    Grey
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:04 PM
  • I did it myself a little ealrier. That is correct I was mistaken on that part I just tried it myself. Here's a funny thing: I reformatted the drive but in Server Properties it still has backups listed since 1/2/12.... They are obviously non existant... What's up with that? Also, I tried viewing the files in the backup by taking the external drive out of the backup classifaction so it would show up as a lettered drive in My Computer. I couldn't see a thing except for a bunch of XML files and 2 VHD's. I was told somewhere that I would be able to view the files. Is that at least true?

Also, it was bothering me about that xxx calculation. Here's the logical math which is how I must have come up with the xxx number:

C: OS 23.3 GB

F: Data: 221.1 GB

Sysvol

23.3 + 221.1= 244.4 GB

Complete server backup lists 234.1 GB used on my external HD. This leaves a difference of 10.3GB.... I did add about 1GB of files recently but that's all. I don't see why the numbers are so far off. I'm sure the paging file isn't 10GB.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    • Edited by jshoemaker21 Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Does anybody else have any idea?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Well how large is your page file?  How much data is in Sytem Volume Information folder?

If you put your backup drive in a Server 08 R2 box or a Win7 box in storage manager you can attach the 2 vhd files and they will get a drive letter, then you can explore them.  Funny thing, mount does not work if you select read only

Grey
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Pagefile is 4094MB. Sysvol on WHS2011? Where?

Also, storage manager... Where do I go to to view these VHD files?

Disk Management shows me the backup drive but I can't assign a letter or mount the drive.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:46 PM
  • You will have to click show system files to see the sysvol, but then you do not have permission.  I am not suggesting you take ownership I am just saying that VSS copies, pagefile etc may be your difference.

In storage manager on a differnt box under action is attach a VHD

Grey
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Can you tell me where to access Storage Manager so I can see the files? Also is it safe to attach a VHD in this? I just want to make sure what is on the disk stays on the disk. Thanks
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 20, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Sorry to be so slow responding, but I built a test server and backed it up to see if this broke anything :)  I don't think it did but you know how they warn you when piddling with the registry.  So If you are piddling with your backup.....You should have another backup .

anyways, MS removes the drive letter from the disc so you won't be messing with it.  So on your SBSe desktop next to start you have an icon of a pc and a toolbox.  Click that.  Bottom left is storage, expand that and do disc managment.  Your backup drive should be there without a drive letter. Right clcik it, then change drive letter and paths.  Give it a drive letter.

Then at the top, under actions is attach a vhd.  Browse to your backup drive, drill down to the vhd you want to attach. Will be at least 2, one for C: and one for D:  Select it, do not check read only, and it will mount with a drive letter than you can explore to your hearts content.

When done, right clcik the drive, detach vhd.  Then right click the backup drive and remove the drive letter.

But a much better exercise I think would be to pull your drive from the server, put a new one in and do a BMR.  That is they way to be confident to know you are "protected" vs looking at the drive contents.

some disclaimer like posted as is, don't blame me if something goes wrong should apply here.

Grey
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:06 PM
  • WHS allows this? So it's Disk Management and thats all?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:58 PM
  • WHS 2011 built on Server 2008 R2 does
    Grey
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Well you mentioned the registry bu then didnt say need ing to do anything with it.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:41 PM
  • I was trying to imply that the same warnings apply, not that you have to do anything there.  Sorry I was not clear
    Grey
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:44 PM
  • All I am saying is if I right click on my Drve E: it says 8gb used, and it is telling a lie.

Just one comment: probably it's not lying. If you have a completely empty HDD, just an NTFS file system on it, my recollection is that it will show some amount of space being used. This used space belongs to NTFS "meta" files, things like the transactional file system, MFT and alternate MFT, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:55 PM