none
Win Vista Ult validation error, what else?

Question

• I'm going to bet I already now the answer to this one but I'm going to give it a try again. 

In 2008 I bought a new HP DV9600 laptop with WinVista Ultimate installed from Circuit City A year later I installed Ubuntu on the 2nd physical hard drive running a dual boot Linux/Windows system. 

Until 2 months ago I never had a problem keeping the system and registery clean. Then after a routine system maint including defrag and registry cleaning WinVU did a series of updates. About a month ago on boot I received a product activation code error and Windows attempted to diag the problem only reporting that my version of windows was not genuine and to enter the product key (on the bottom of the computer) which I did. That product key was not accepted and windows gave me the message not a genuine version of windows. Calls to Microsoft said the do not support OEM Windows installs. HP said to repair the system from the recovery partition on the 1st drive. With that done the system seem to be normal until a couple of days ago when after an update the same product validation warning came up and a request from MSoft to check the system, via their validations servers is my guess. It failed to return any results at all after several tries. 

After following instructions from the MSoft knowledgebase to reactivate my WinVU I used a set of utilities to extract the product key from the registry and found the product key in the registry does not match the one on the bottom of the computer. This is an original computer so they should have matched. Searching the internet turned up several articles about HP using a single master install for a large number of computers at the same time then just placing a random label on the bottom of the computers. Seems it was a prevalent practice at HP, Dell and others. Labels with keys that didn't match the actual installed version. The upshot is if the user ever has to re-install he would run into a product activation warning at some point.

Next go around was to install from the recovery CDs made from the laptop when I got it. After the install and all the updates finished I ran into the same problem. Both MSoft and HP acknowledge the problem however HP no longer supports this model.

As of this morning Widows reports a new activation error, SL08-080. All I can find out about this is that it is a software patch installed by some programs but I don't have any idea what it does. I haven't installed anything except my Legacy App and VLC Media player. So I called MSoft this morning gave them my product key and they said it was valid but it was an OEM key and they didn't support it, Seems I've heard that before. They acknowledged the problem but their only suggestion was to buy and install a fresh Win7 as Vista isn't anymore.. Being disabled I can't afford to buy an original Win7 so I thought this forum might have an answer. At this point the only reason I need windows is for legacy paint and draw apps that won't run under WINE the windows API for Linux so an answer is fairly important.

A reminder, this is a valid OEM windows install on an HP laptop 

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any help

Djinn and Nenene

Monday, August 8, 2011 3:52 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, it appears someone installed an OEM copy of Windows Vista Ultimate edition (using a disc belonging to an ASUS PC) on an HP model computer.  How did that happen?  That, of course, is why your Windows installation has been flagged as non-genuine.  To resolve this issue, you'll need to obtain the correct HP Windows recovery disc, reformat the hard drive, and install the correct Windows operating system that came with your HP PC.  Please see: Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:39 PM

All replies

• In order to analyze and troubleshoot your issue, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool. Then click on the Continue button, the Copy button, and then paste in this thread. Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Am I allowed to rant? 

RANT: Stupid Windoze computers crash in the middle of my last post. At least I got the diags to run and saved the file.

Nice tool. Wonder how I've never seen this one? Probably because I prefer Linux.  

The Diags

I can read some of it, it does show that my Windoze is genuine and as far as I can see there are no errors. 

It also shows most of the validation key but the numbers shown don't even come close to the tag on the computer. 

From here I bow to your expertise.

Windows, Mac or Linux, every OS sucks.

Djinn and Nenene

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Validation Code: 0

Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YQQTB-FWK9V-932CC

Windows Product Key Hash: L1zPFFvNQ04Nunm9BorPaqFl4jI=

Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7332132-00031

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.001

ID: {B6A9C943-DA36-47EF-BA3A-B26EBADEE16A}(1)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

Architecture: 0x00000000

Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432

TTS Error: 

Validation Diagnostic: 

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): 00000000-80000003

Version: 6.0.6001.18152

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B6A9C943-DA36-47EF-BA3A-B26EBADEE16A}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-932CC</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7332132-00031</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3190192683-1507244007-1820721879</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>MCP67</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.2A    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080222000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>FE303507018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>_ASUS_</OEMID><OEMTableID>Notebook</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

Windows Activation Technologies-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: OgAAAAEABwABAAEAAQABAAAAAgABAAEAJJTMBPwidhu84yC+gASIzAaYmGCyS0Qs8vTqWkqZrFZ4qg==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes

Windows marker version: 0x20000

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

BIOS Information: 

ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value

APIC PTLTD APIC  

FACP NVIDIA MCP67-M 

SRAT AMD   HAMMER  

HPET PTLTD HPETTBL 

BOOT PTLTD $SBFTBL$

MCFG PTLTD  MCFG  

TCPA Phoeni x      

SSDT PTLTD POWERNOW

SLIC _ASUS_ Notebook

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Unfortunately, it appears someone installed an OEM copy of Windows Vista Ultimate edition (using a disc belonging to an ASUS PC) on an HP model computer.  How did that happen?  That, of course, is why your Windows installation has been flagged as non-genuine.  To resolve this issue, you'll need to obtain the correct HP Windows recovery disc, reformat the hard drive, and install the correct Windows operating system that came with your HP PC.  Please see: Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:39 PM
  • An Asus? I see, it says that at the bottom.  I do have an Asus laptop, I wonder if I used the wrong recovery disks. But wouldn't it have said wrong disk if it's all so processor specific? I looked to see if there are was another set of recovery disks and there is only the one set so it must be the ones I made for the Asus. I have no idea where the other set is or if I made one. I usually do.

I followed the link to HP and found pretty much what I need. Frankly if MSoft wasn't so paranoid about their precious piece of bloatware we wouldn't have these problems would we? 

Thanks for your help. I'll get a replacement from HP if they exist.

Curtains for Windows, switch to Linux. Open source software is free for all.

Nenene   

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:53 AM