none
Remote access not working RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to see if anyone can help me with a remote access problem.  I am running WHS behind a DLink DIR-615 router, and was able to get remote access to work the first night that WHS was installed, but after downloading and installing all the critical updates, remote access no longer works from outside my network.  I have used the Open Port Check tool suggested in another post and found that ports 443, and 4125 return a "connection refused" error.  However, I cannot find any entry in my router log to suggest that it was my router that refused the connection.  Is it common for ISP's to block these ports?  If I connect to my homserver domain ( docmanage.homeserver.com )through a computer on my network, it works fine.  If try and connect from outside, I get the widows login dialog, but when I put n my username and password, the browser works for about 10 seconds, and then I get a search screen.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would really appreciate it.
    Steve

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    what for a search screen? (Such things sometimes could be caused by malware ...)
    If the router is forwarding to the proper IP address you should not get a Windows login screen, if you connect via Internet Explorer, but the WHS login screen within the browser.
    Does the router support UPnP configuration? Check its internal configuration pages, if it forwards the mentioned ports properly to your WHS IP address. If not, you have to set the entries manually.
    Some ISPs block access, some corporate Firewalls do the same with unusual ports.
    Do you see any related error messages in the event log of your home server?
    Try also to reconfigure Remote Access and domain in the console, since sometimes the homeserver.com live services seem to stuck with outdated information.
    (Currently your machine seems to be unreachable.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:24 AM