Remote Access Config Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Here we go...........

I have installed WHS and everything seems to function fine.........

My problem is remote access.......

It will not automatically configure my router.

It is a Linksys WRT54G   Version 5 FW 1.00.6 ( I think)

UPnP is enabled but WHS can not forward the required ports.

I have gone in and tried to do it manually with no success. I have looked in the Linksys Set up Manual and (to me anyway) does not give a clear examble of how to forward a port.

Also the IP of the server  say it is    192.168.1.110   ((  ping server))   WHS  says as it is trying to config that the IP address is   something like   78.125.1.1   ( at work and don't remember exactly. This is probably a simple fix but I can't seem to find an answer in the forums ( at least that I can understand)

Also I am in Toronto Canada.......are there any issues with Rogers internet.

Thanks

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:08 PM

Answers

• Here is a example how to forward Https port 443.

If UPnP is enabled but WHS can't forward it, turn off UPnP on your router. Manually forward port 80, 443, and 4125. You can use the above example for a guide. Give that a try first.

Also find out if your ISP blocks port 80 and 443.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:47 AM

All replies

• Here is a example how to forward Https port 443.

If UPnP is enabled but WHS can't forward it, turn off UPnP on your router. Manually forward port 80, 443, and 4125. You can use the above example for a guide. Give that a try first.

Also find out if your ISP blocks port 80 and 443.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:47 AM
  • I can also shed a little light on the issue. Yes, the router does have UPNP, but it's horrible at doing so. I have setup several of these routers (including my own), and even though I have UPNP enabled, nothing (software or hardware) is able to use the UPNP feature.

Firmware upgrades haven't, unfortunately, seemed to help the issue. The only resolution I've found is to manually map the ports in your firewall.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:28 PM
  • The linksys kit is wonderfull for day to day work but I do agree UPNP is a bit of a pain.

I have just had three routers in the last week (lightning storm and dodgy eBay win went through two) and found that the oldest router (Wireless-B only - BEFW11S4) worked fine for UPNP, the oldest Wireless-G would not work not matter what I did and the replacement (WRT54GS) for these did not work until I upgraded the flash to 1.52

Try the upgrades - its amazing the number of fixes Linksys are shipping post router releases...

Andrew

(WHS on C7 1.2Ghz 500Mb Ram 400GB Disk and totally fanless case)

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Andrew

we're getting the same uPnP issues, which we hope will be fixed before release.

PS - for your info - we plan a 8x HDD T2e-hs appliance to plug into a suitable T2e based WHS server later this year - in case you have any feedback ?

the T2e will offer 2x 4 lane SATA ports (8 SATA channels) - and these 2x cables will simply plug into a 2nd (custom) T2e system, holding up to 8x SATA drives.  The drives of course will be semi-suspended (as you have with your current T2e) - and cooled to the sides (300mm heat sinks) - all powered with a single 12V DC feed.

it's early days - but we always welcome feedback at this stage.

David

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:25 PM