Serious issues with WHS installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Over the past few days I have reinstalled my WHS several times, encountering the same issue every time.
    After I have applied some/all updates, or in the middle of that, or while doing anything after having the new install for several hours, it crashes and puts me into a BSOD loop. After the loading screen with the WHS logo I get a BSoD and it starts all over again.

It's driving me crazy. I must have reinstalled and install WHS about 6 times now, just to see it get messed up by a BSoD at the end. I have also tried installing on other (both brand new and old) hard drives, just to have it crash on me one way or another. I can't see what the BSoD says, it shows up and reboots within a second.

It was running fine before, so I really want to keep using WHS. What could be causing this? Could new server hadware be the solution? The hardware I'm using right now is from a 5 year old PC, maybe it's wearing off... or isn't that something that could cause these issues? Cause if it's not, I'd rather not spend money on it.

As I said before, I've tried other hard drives, other SATA cables, new installation/server reinstallation, skip certain updates (especially .net updates were bad) and god knows what more.

Any suggestions on what to try?
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:16 PM

Answers

• I've removed one of my two memory sticks and now it's booting again!
    It's strange, I ran memtest yesterday, turned out fine. Today I ran 'The Troubleshooter' from hiren's bootCD and it hung at the second RAM stick... so I yanked that one out and it's booting fine now!

I'm not getting too anxious just yet, but it looks like it's fixed. I'll keep you posted.
    • Marked as answer by Zinu Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:27 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:57 PM

All replies

• Did you check the memory?

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Yep, everything is fine. I've done several tests from Hiren's BootCD on all system components.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:57 PM
  • But with you it sometimes boots, but most times it doesn't if I understand correctly?
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Please set your server to not reboot on STOP errors, so you can see what the blue screen is caused by.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:35 AM
  • How do I do that?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:15 AM
  • I've removed one of my two memory sticks and now it's booting again!
    It's strange, I ran memtest yesterday, turned out fine. Today I ran 'The Troubleshooter' from hiren's bootCD and it hung at the second RAM stick... so I yanked that one out and it's booting fine now!

I'm not getting too anxious just yet, but it looks like it's fixed. I'll keep you posted.
    • Marked as answer by Zinu Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:27 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:57 PM
  • How do I do that?

Right-click on your My Computer and select Properties.
    Go to the Advanced tab, and under Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings button.
    In the System failure section uncheck "Automatically restart".
    • Edited by idburns Monday, January 4, 2010 6:38 PM re-worded
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zinu Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:27 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:37 PM