Considering WHS, compatibility with Win 2k and how HD's managed? RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in WHS but have one machine that currently runs Win 2k.  Would this PC be compatible, either fully or with reduced functionality? 

Also i can't find much info on how WHS manages connected HD's.  I'll probably go for the HP or Squa5H solution, but have not seen any info on how the HD's are managed, is it RAID, JBOD or what?  If I add a couple of extra drives how is my data shared across them and what is the integrity of the software, i.e if one of the additional drives fails, how easy is it to recover the system and more importantly data.  I would want the server as a secure repository of my data, but how secure is it (I accept physical security, such as theft is down to me).

thanks for any assistance provided.

GB Boy
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

W2K will function with a WHS, however, you won't be able to utilise the full facilities such as automated backups as W2K just doesn't have the required code.
    Have a read through these documents, particularly the Drive extender one, these have the operational details of how WHS works.

WHS manages it's drives itself, there is no user interaction other than to choose whether you want the requisite folders duplicated or not - duplication means a copy on each of two drives.
    Also, there are means of exporting the stored data to external drives which can be rotated off-site if required.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

W2K will function with a WHS, however, you won't be able to utilise the full facilities such as automated backups as W2K just doesn't have the required code.
    Have a read through these documents, particularly the Drive extender one, these have the operational details of how WHS works.

WHS manages it's drives itself, there is no user interaction other than to choose whether you want the requisite folders duplicated or not - duplication means a copy on each of two drives.
    Also, there are means of exporting the stored data to external drives which can be rotated off-site if required.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Colin,

Many thanks for your prompt response. 

GB Boy
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:01 PM