On WHS Bootup, Can't Find Hardware Profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

When I boot up my WHS system, it sometimes says it can't find the hardware profile, and then it creates an entirely new desktop, configures Windows Explorer, etc.  I'm sure it is creating a new user, but I can't find anything in the Control Panel or Administrative Tools that shows all the user accounts in WHS (not the user accounts for my workstations, but the user accounts allowed to boot up and log into the main WHS server).

In all other Windows workstations, there is a "User" icon in the Control Panel.

This hardware profile seems to be unique to WHS, because I have never seen it XP, Vista or Windows 7 workstations.

The way I fix this is to just shut it down and try again.  Eventually it finds the hardware profile... Strange!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich Locus

Logicwurks, LLC

Rich Locus Logicwurks, LLC www.logicwurks.com
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:24 PM

Answers

• It could be a failing disk drive (probably the system drive in your server). It could be other things too, but I'd tend to bet on the failing disk drive. :)

Have you installed anything on your server? Add-ins? Software installed from the desktop? Made any tweaks from the desktop?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:21 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 9:26 PM

All replies

• It could be a failing disk drive (probably the system drive in your server). It could be other things too, but I'd tend to bet on the failing disk drive. :)

Have you installed anything on your server? Add-ins? Software installed from the desktop? Made any tweaks from the desktop?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:21 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Ken:

Thanks for the hints.  Is there anything in WHS where I can see accounts it created from this error, similar to the "Accounts" in the control panel of XP, Vista, etc?  Does WHS even have accounts setup like a workstation?

Rich Locus

Rich Locus Logicwurks, LLC www.logicwurks.com
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:56 AM