WHS vs Server 2008 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am wondering if WHS is the right solution for my use. Through the partnership program I have Small Business Server 2008, Enterprise Server 2008 R2 and WHS.  I set up WHS on one box and have become a bit familiar with that. Prior to this my only contact with Servers was with Server 2000 about 10 years ago. In that case I didn't set it up, I had admin rights to it at the office I worked at.

My primary need in my home netwrok is an easy and automated method for backing up everyone's computer's and data. What I'd really like to do is set up a system that I can use like a DVR/TIVO that is easy enough for my wife to use without complaining all the time that it's too hard or isn't working.

I understand that WHS and the upcoming VAIL are based off of the core server products. I take that to mean the Microsoft has created an easier and more aesthetic interface that streamlines to home users with limited needs of the server product. For myself, I can handle the server interface and such. I am wondering if I set up a Small business server box if I would have all the controls over backups that I have with WHS. I think I would additionally be able to back computers that are off-site. That would allow my cousins to take advantage of the resources I've put into backups with duplicating the efforts themselves.

For Multimedia I am not sure at all what WHS can do, much less about the other servers. We're getting TV signal via DirectTV and interfaces a computer with the DriectTV tuners has it's own challenges. Getting any recorded content to the various TV's in the home important. I really haven't any idea on how to compare the capabilites of WHS to the other server products. I looked online and haven't got a definative answer there either.

I would simply skip the whole server step and set up a client PC to act as storage unit except that WHS' backup function is tremendously more useful and cost effective than other solutions.

ANy thoughts on comparison or maybe some links to others that have exploreed these issues?

Thanks,

Karl

Karl H.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, August 13, 2010 12:12 AM not a technical question
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:24 PM

All replies

• This is the wrong place to ask about SBS and other Microsoft server products; it's a group of forums focused on Windows Home Server.

From what you say, Windows Home Server V1 (or V2/Vail when released) will give you the easy backups you want. None of Microsoft's server products (including Windows Home Server V1 or Vail) will make the rest easier than Windows 7 Media Center...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:38 PM
  • I understand this forum may not be the best place to discuss SBS or servers other than WHS. My questions was about MS server products overall, including WHS. I hope the moderators will understand, as there isn't a forum for that per se.

I saw in another thread that someone's solution was to have WHS running on a virtual machine on a box running Server 2008. I've picked up on the fact that media streaming is not an advantage of WHS compared to Win7. That lead me to thinking about setting up a windows 7 box that had WHS running on a virtual machine there. Is that feasable option to explore?

Thanks,

Karl

Karl H.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 5:26 AM
  • I don't recommend virtualization of Windows Home Server. It will give the best performance, and therefore the best experience, on dedicated hardware. In addition, in your scenario you'll be shutting down the desktop you would put it on, presumably. This will defeat backups and other processes designed to run during off hours.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 13, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Thanks for your help Ken. I have decided to keep the WHS on the box it's running on for the reasons you mentioned. Great minds I guess:)

My only concern is I don't really understand the process of backing up the stored data in a RAID configuration. I will ask this in another thread.

Karl H.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:15 AM