Port forwarding problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Linksys WRT54GL router.  I have port forwarding setup for ports 80, 443 and 4125 for TCP and the IP address listed is the address of my WHS which I have setup my server with the fixed address of 192.168.1.100.  Since the beta and now the released version I have always been told that port forwarding is not configured on my router but I can do remote desktop and access the server offsite from the web.  I had the router configured to use Open DNS and had the same experience so I tried turning off Open DNS and have the same result.  Why I am told that this does not work but I can access my server.  Does anyone know a way to list my server in Open DNS which I mainly use because of my three sons.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:28 PM

All replies

• WHS does not play well with some routers - I have no experience of yours but mine is similar. No need for Port 4125 for WHS2011. When you say you can connect from the internet, do you mean Remote Desktop or using the normal method of Remote Access with a browser? What URL are you using to do that? If you have a homeserver.com domain configured and then try to access via an Open DNS domain URL you will get certificate errors.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:03 PM
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Your server is reporting this issue because it wants to automatically configure your router via UPnP, but your router isn't allowing the configuration. Everything works in spite of the error because you've manually forwarded the required ports to your server.

You can:

• Ignore the error.
    • Turn off automatic router configuration.

For more information, see the Windows Home Server 2011 online help for administrators.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:41 PM
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:41 PM
  • By connecting from the internet I meant the homeserver.com address.  I can also easily remote desktop from my home.  I get the exact same response with Open DNS or without Open DNS.  I don't understand what I am missing by this not working or being told by WHS that this is not working.  If I purchased a new router what would this give me in return relating to WHS.  I have looked at replacing the router some time by getting the top of the line Linksys or Netgear.  Would these somehow give me better use of WHS.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Since everything works, there's no need to turn off OpenDNS, or replace your current router (unless you're unhappy with your current router for other reasons, that is). Just turn off the automatic router configuration on your server, since you've already manually forwarded the required ports to your server.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Out of curiosity would I get these errors with a newer router and why not.  My main computers are wired gigabit but some time I will purchase a faster router for wireless devices.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Out of curiosity would I get these errors with a newer router and why not.  My main computers are wired gigabit but some time I will purchase a faster router for wireless devices.

You get the error today because Windows Home Server 2011 is trying to use UPnP to configure your router, and failing. Everything works despite the error because you've manually configured the correct ports to forward to your server.

So, would you get the error with a new router? No, if it supports UPnP configuration properly. But you can eliminate the error now, without replacing your router, if you turn off automatic router configuration on your server. So don't replace your router just because of this error.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:21 PM
  • For whatever reason after playing around with the setup on WHS and my router and Open DNS as of yesterday I cannot access my server web site from off site.  I can from within my home.  I don't understand why.  I have turned on Open DNS and gone through the setup in WHS and my router manually and to my knowledge everything is setup as it has been for years and I still get errors in the WHS router configuration but I always have with WHS V2 so I cannot figure out what the problem might be.  This always confused me because I never got these errors with WHS V1 and I guess it would just be this way in the beta but for two weeks now I have been using the purchased version.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:18 PM