Install Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I read in a post that OneCare subscriptions would no longer be offered after 2009.  Is that true?

The install requirements indicate you need 25 gb of free space on your hard drive if using the backup function.  I assume if your using an external hard drive as a backup destination this requirement does not apply?

Any problem using OneCare with a wireless (Dell 948) printer on a home network (3 computers)?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:15 PM

Answers

• Yes, subscriptions will no longer be allowed to be created or renewed after 2009. OneCare subscription in effect at that point will still be fully supported through the end of 2010.

The 25 gig space requirement still applies when using an external disk as OneCare backup uses temporary space on the system drive to copy files to and compress them before sending them to the backup folder.

As for the wireless printer, it depends on what you mean by problems. :-) In theory, it should work fine. It will not work with the printer sharing feature within OneCare as the printer must be locally attached. Since it is a network printer, you should be able to access it from any PC in your network as long as you configure the network in OneCare's firewall settings to be Home or Work.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• Yes, subscriptions will no longer be allowed to be created or renewed after 2009. OneCare subscription in effect at that point will still be fully supported through the end of 2010.

The 25 gig space requirement still applies when using an external disk as OneCare backup uses temporary space on the system drive to copy files to and compress them before sending them to the backup folder.

As for the wireless printer, it depends on what you mean by problems. :-) In theory, it should work fine. It will not work with the printer sharing feature within OneCare as the printer must be locally attached. Since it is a network printer, you should be able to access it from any PC in your network as long as you configure the network in OneCare's firewall settings to be Home or Work.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Thanks.  I think I will pass as it does not make much sense to rely upon a product with such a short life span.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 8:47 PM