Unclear About "New" Windows 7 Backup Capability... a Little Confused! RRS feed

• Question

• I've had the WHS PP2 Connector running on all the Pre-RTM Win7 releases for the past 6 months and backups have worked flawlessly.  What am I missing regarding the Windows 7 full image backup capability with PP3?  I'll be installing PP3 later this evening.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server has always been able to back up Windows 7. As that press release states, the change is to allow Windows Home Server to integrate better with the Action Center, so that windows 7 will not report a problem when Windows Home Server is the only form of backup the Windows 7 computer receives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by SonCoder Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:27 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:55 PM

All replies

• I had exactly the same reaction as you ... since by backups of W7RC are working fine ... then I re-read the MS statement about backup capability ... it says the Action Center will no longer warn that you are not backed up. Apparently PP3 "talks" with W7 and is now recognized by W7 as a valid form of backup. Perhaps the MS marketing statement for PP3 is saying nothing about its actual backup capability.

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Here is the text from the press release:

"Windows 7 Backup & Recovery

Windows Home Server performs a full image-based backup of Windows 7-based computers, allowing for a complete computer recovery in the case of a hard drive failure, or restoration of a single file or folder in the event of accidental deletion or loss.  After the Windows Home Server Connector software has been installed on a computer running Windows 7, Windows 7 Backup warnings will be suppressed and users will no longer receive a notification to back up their computer.  Windows Home Server can back up Windows XP SP2 or later, Windows Vista and Windows 7-based computers."

This is pretty trick MS speak ... but it does not actually say the abilitly to back up is added ... only the ability for Windows 7 to recognized that a back up is done by Windows Home Server.

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Windows Home Server has always been able to back up Windows 7. As that press release states, the change is to allow Windows Home Server to integrate better with the Action Center, so that windows 7 will not report a problem when Windows Home Server is the only form of backup the Windows 7 computer receives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by SonCoder Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:27 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Got it, Ken.  Appreciate the clarification.  Thanks!

Doug
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Of course, most of us turned off the backup warning in Win7 straight away, because we got notifications from our WHS connector anyway and we knew our image-based backups were working.

I see this as another feature in PP3 that works towards WHS being 'simple' for non-advanced users.  Most enthusiasts won't care about this feature.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:43 AM
  • As did I.  But it the spirit of testing, and in accordance with the beta documentation I have found that this feature has not worked for me.  I submitted a bug report right away.  I have two machines running Win7 RC and the Action Center warning ("Your files are not being backed up.") is still showing for both.  I tried cycling the WHS backups off and back on via the console but this didn't reset the warnings.  Both machine were backed up normally last night and the Action Center warning persists on each PC this morning.

Doug
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:32 AM
  • It cleared up on it's own for me.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:21 PM
  • I'm having the same issue as Santian - PP3 installed fine, and updated my home computer's Connector software automatically, but does NOT resolve the "Your files are not being backed up" message in the Action Center.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:14 AM