windows live 1 care subscription RRS feed

• Question

• My windows live 1 care free program is ending in 13 days.  I have attempted to subscribe online but was not able to because the area where I live is not included in your list of states.  I live in the Northern Marianas Islands; a US territory in the Pacific.  I would appreciate help on this matter because I want to continue protecting my pc.  Thank you.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi. Unfortunately, you will not likely be able to subscribe. The subscription system doesn't work for US Territories - which I never could understand. Note that OneCare is actually no longer available at retail and won't be sold online some time this Fall/Winter. Later this year, Microsoft Security Essentials will be released. It replaces OneCare, but only provides protection against viruses and spyware without the extras that OneCare provides. The extra features of OneCare are generally already available in Windows, albeit not in the manner OneCare provides.
    MSE is currently in beta. If you know someone with a US address in the 50 states they can subscribe to OneCare for you, but that seems a bit of a pain to me. You might want to consider an alternative in the meantime. I can recommend Avast or Avira as free antivirus programs for home users. When MSE becomes available later this year, you can consider that.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 11:54 PM