Unable to connect; unable to re-install CRM Data Migration Manager: V4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I succeeded in installing CRM V 4.0 last week on a server, (not my local PC).

Then I succeeded in installing the Data migration manager on my local PC and succeeded to import rudimentary data.

Today the Data Migration Manager failed to connect to the CRM.

Researched a few potential solutions, most said to look in the log files, but the log files did not contain anything untoward.

Another post suggested looking at the event log. Again nothing untoward.

I thought I would uninstall and re-install the Data Migration Manager:

The first step on running the DMM is to configure: it hangs at the step -- "..asyncServiceInstaller"

Then times out.

The CRM appears to be fully functional.

On the server, I stopped and restarted the CRMAsyncService. No change.

I rebooted the server (a sign of desperation and lack of understanding...). No change.

Enabling trace, there are two trace files written:

CrmAsyncService-bin-20081223-1.log and

w3wp-wwwroot-20081223-1.log

Sadly, I am not even close to being clever enough to understand what's in there, except that there appear to be lots of stack traces.

Any ideas? (hopefully not involving re-installing the CRM itself)

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:55 AM

Answers

• while looking for a different problem fix, I came across this post, this had happened to me before and it turned out the user had changed their local password and this is what caused the issue, on install the DMM service (async) stores the users password as the service starter.  Reset this password in services.exe to current user logged in password and it shoudl work (or at least eliminate that as a problem)

hope that helps

Allan
    http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:43 PM

All replies

• Are you able to access CRM from a web browser on the PC? 

You may need to delete the DMM table from the CRM SQL server before attempting to reinstall the DMM.  The table name for the DMM is something like MSCRM_Migration.  Be sure to do a full SQL backup before making this change.  Be careful when deleting tables from SQL as you don't want to delete the wrong one.  If you are not comfortable with this process, please seek the help of a consultant.

In the future, rather than uninstalling the DMM try running the configuration wizard and see if that corrects the problem.  You can find the file at the following path:

c:\program files\microsoft dynamics crm data migration manager\dmclient\configwizard\Microsoft.Crm.DMClient.Config.exe 

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

Yes I can access the CRM both through any web browser, and from Outlook client.

I looked at the Server's CRM databases: there seem to be two MSCRM_CONFIG and VirageCRM_MSCRM. But neither of them has any tables that included the words Migration or MSCRM in their names. I scanned all the table names and couldn't see any names that looked like they indicated they were DMM tables...

I did delete the local DMM database from the local SQLExpress instance, because the DMM config told me to do that as the first step in the DMM config. Perhaps that was what you were referring to.

Thanks also for the tip on using the configuration wizard...

Any more advice would be gratefully received....

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Ok, so you used a local db rather than direct connection when you installed DMM.

Try installing the DMM on another PC and see if that works.  That will help us determine if this is a server related issue or local PC.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:55 PM
  • It took a while to bring my spare laptop up to date, but once I had it all shipshape and I installed DMM, it did indeed work just fine.

So I'm wondering what did i do between the first time I succeeded on the bad one, and the time it failed...

The only thing I can think of is that I installed the CRM Outlook tool, and used it successfully.

Outlook for CRM is still working, although I know that I have to disable it in order to use DMM.

Just in case there was a network issue or something that fixed itself in the time I spent configuring the spare, I am running the two side by side.

Spare -- Good

My Laptop -- Bad

My plan now is to install the Outlook adapter onto the spare, then see if it breaks DMM.

Any other ideas or suggestions gratefully received....

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:35 PM
  • After upgrading outlook2003 to SP3 (on the spare pc), and installing and configuring the CRM outlook client, (which works great) the DMM continues to work flawlessly on the spare but fails miserably on my Laptop.

Obviously this is a localized problem on my development Laptop. I will poke around in the registry and tinker with uninstalling DMM again.

Other than that I am out of ideas.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:16 PM
  • There is a smoking gun here...

Looking at the Microsoft CRM Asynchronous Processing Service (in the services MMC plugin), the service cannot be started, or at least it starts and then stops immediately. On the PC that works fine, the service is started and stays started.

Searching online, I can't find a specific solution, but I do find a lot of posts relating the asynchService with CRM 4.0 issues.

Still looking, but the solution will have to wait until next week...

Merry Xmas!

Thursday, December 25, 2008 2:57 AM
  • I'll start a new thread as this one has departed from the original diagnosis and symptom

Monday, December 29, 2008 10:10 PM
  • while looking for a different problem fix, I came across this post, this had happened to me before and it turned out the user had changed their local password and this is what caused the issue, on install the DMM service (async) stores the users password as the service starter.  Reset this password in services.exe to current user logged in password and it shoudl work (or at least eliminate that as a problem)

hope that helps

Allan
    http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:43 PM