Running of the CD Restore Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• How long should it take to do a restore of a harddrive that had about 48gb backedup over a 10/100 network.  (I am not sure if my setup is working at 10/100/1000)

The HP Media Smart is sitting allone on the network as it trys to restore my HP Pavillion Slimline s7500y. 

How long should this take?  It goes for about 4 hours and then it fails out with the "'An unknown network error has occurred during PC Restore" error.

The entire network at this point is HP Pavillion Slimline s7500y <--> Linksys SD2008 switch <--> HP Media Smart Server.  I have unplugged everything else.

Friday, May 29, 2009 2:09 AM

Answers

• This amount of data will relatively long with a 10/100 connection. On top WHS needs to unpack the data from the backup database, which may even increase the time needed with a slow processor and low amount of memory.
    (If the HP has only the minimum amount of 512 MB memory, this could play a role.)
    If you had multiple volumes in your client, try to restore the system volume first, then boot the restored system and follow the procedure described in this FAQ.
    (Or try to use a running client instead of the restore CD, since there may also be driver issues in that environment.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:58 PM

All replies

• This amount of data will relatively long with a 10/100 connection. On top WHS needs to unpack the data from the backup database, which may even increase the time needed with a slow processor and low amount of memory.
    (If the HP has only the minimum amount of 512 MB memory, this could play a role.)
    If you had multiple volumes in your client, try to restore the system volume first, then boot the restored system and follow the procedure described in this FAQ.
    (Or try to use a running client instead of the restore CD, since there may also be driver issues in that environment.)
    Olaf
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Reading the FAQ I think it more or less spells out my problems.  I just do not have the time to do all that.  And if I did then I could have been backing up to a USB drive all this time with less fuss and mess. 

It is dissapointing.   I'm just going to buy a new dell.  This Media Smart is turning out to be a headache / waste of money. 

What do you mean by "multiple volumes"? Do you mean partitions?

Friday, May 29, 2009 5:02 PM
  • What do you mean by "multiple volumes"? Do you mean partitions?

yes, can be partitions on one or multiple physical disks.
    Olaf
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:15 AM