Getting "An error occured during import" during project import. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to import a project in PS 2010.  However, I am getting an error message when I click on "Continue to step 3".

Any idea of what could be my problem?

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

• Benoiit:

If you clicked the Validate Resources button in Step 2, and you difinitely did not get any errors, then there is something in the plan data itself that is causing the problem. This is not an issue that we're likely going to be able to help you with in the Forum unless someone wants to volunteer to try working with the plan in question.

You can try looking for data issues in the plan. Look for blank lines, look for blank task names and blank summary task names. These are oddities that cause import errors, but the list of possible causes is vast.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• Can you please tell us more about the step by step and the type/version of project you are trying to import?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:01 PM
    1. Project professional 2010
    2. Project Server 2010
    3. Project X was created on PP 2003.
    4. Project X opened with PP 2010.
    5. Project X saved with PP 2010 in .mpp 2010 file format.
    6. In PP 2010, click on Import Project To Enterprise.
    7. Step 1 and 2 of import wizard show no error.
    8. Then when I click Continu to Step 3, a pop up displays "An error occured during import"

• Proposed as answer by Rashat Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Benoiit:

If you clicked the Validate Resources button in Step 2, and you difinitely did not get any errors, then there is something in the plan data itself that is causing the problem. This is not an issue that we're likely going to be able to help you with in the Forum unless someone wants to volunteer to try working with the plan in question.

You can try looking for data issues in the plan. Look for blank lines, look for blank task names and blank summary task names. These are oddities that cause import errors, but the list of possible causes is vast.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I am afraid impossible to convert Ms Project 2003 file directly to 2010. Microsoft migration process make it through Project 2007.
    Sorry for english.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:44 AM