wireless connnection troubles RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop - It is about 4 years old now. I want to connect to my Live OneCare WEP connection - it connects to my 2 other PC's but not to my laptop's wireless internet connection.  Why is this happening?

Linksys WRT54G v5 is my router type

~Chris
    • Edited by ChrisBud Friday, February 20, 2009 11:56 PM Grammar
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:52 PM

Answers

• The same instructions apply, Chris. You need to reset your router or obtain the key from the details on the PC used to configure security from within OneCare. Then use that key to set up the security on the presario. If the presario is using OneCare, and you use OneCare to configure the WiFi security, you can choose to have OneCare put the key onto a USB stick that you can carry to the presario.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:00 PM
  • And, if the presario is connecting to your network via wireless already and seeing the other PCs on the network it should have Ineternet access already. All Internet access passes through the router to the Internet. No PC is sharing a connection in this configuration.
    If it can't see one of the PCs on the network, that isn't a WiFi issue, it is a permissions or sharing issue.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBud Friday, February 20, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• The same instructions apply, Chris. You need to reset your router or obtain the key from the details on the PC used to configure security from within OneCare. Then use that key to set up the security on the presario. If the presario is using OneCare, and you use OneCare to configure the WiFi security, you can choose to have OneCare put the key onto a USB stick that you can carry to the presario.
    -steve
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:00 PM
  • And, if the presario is connecting to your network via wireless already and seeing the other PCs on the network it should have Ineternet access already. All Internet access passes through the router to the Internet. No PC is sharing a connection in this configuration.
    If it can't see one of the PCs on the network, that isn't a WiFi issue, it is a permissions or sharing issue.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBud Friday, February 20, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Alright I see how. But I still can't get it to connect to my Internet Browser. And I have no idea how to see the other PC's threw OneCare. I did set it up using my USB Flash Drive, and still... I am having the same problem. And like I said, I can't get into my Details for my OneCare_4224 connection :s, help me Steve LOL

~Chris
    Friday, February 20, 2009 11:55 PM