multiple lines of text - maxlength? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've created a new entity that serves as a denormalized table for emails.  The Description field in the Email entity has a type of "Multiple Lines of Text" with a maxlength > 1 billion.  However, in my denormalized table for emails, I created a Description field but the maxlength allowed by CRM is just over 1 million.  So is there a trick for bumping up the allowed maxlength for a multiple lines of text field or am I limited to a maxlength of about 1 million?  Does CRM essentially override this constraint for itself as an exeption with the email.description field?

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi, Yes the email body is a system exception which you can't simulate in a supported way.

Not sure why there is a lower limit on custom fields, but I suspect it is performance related.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:42 PM
    Answerer
  • You are seriously going to impact performance of your SQL database if you try to really make the multiple lines of text field support a billion characters.

You would be better off attaching the email itself as a file.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:06 PM