Task not created after synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Usually, when an activity is created within CRM (let's say a phone call), then when synchronizing with Outlook a new task is created in Outlook. This task is due to the "due date" of the activity. This is very useful!

The problem is when I create an email activity within CRM, this email is not being synchronized in Outlook and so no task is created.

• The last Rollup is intalled (CRM 4 rollup #3)
    • Everything is ticked on the client "CRM > Options... > synchronization"
    • I have nothing neither in the event log nor in the Trace file...
    • I works properly for all other activities

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:58 PM

Answers

• In CRM 4.0, emails synchronization does not occur in the same way as the other activity types, as you have found out.  The behavior you are seeing is expected behavior.  Tasks in Outlook are synchronized as either tasks, phone calls, letters, or faxes in CRM.  Appointments in Outlook are synchronized as appointments and service activities, although you cannot track an Outlook appointment as a CRM service activity.

Email synchronization is more one-way; you can track an Outlook email in CRM, but you cannot synchronize a CRM email to Outlook.

• Marked as answer by Advanced 365 Monday, May 18, 2009 3:59 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• In CRM 4.0, emails synchronization does not occur in the same way as the other activity types, as you have found out.  The behavior you are seeing is expected behavior.  Tasks in Outlook are synchronized as either tasks, phone calls, letters, or faxes in CRM.  Appointments in Outlook are synchronized as appointments and service activities, although you cannot track an Outlook appointment as a CRM service activity.

Email synchronization is more one-way; you can track an Outlook email in CRM, but you cannot synchronize a CRM email to Outlook.

Monday, May 18, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Hi and thanks!

That's a shame because everybody in my company wanted to create emails within CRM with a due date so they could have a reminder in Outlook like they do for phonecalls or fax.

I think the only way to do that will be for me to write a new Workflow...

Thanks for you help!
    • Unmarked as answer by Advanced 365 Monday, May 18, 2009 3:59 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:58 PM
  • If you would like a task created for e-mails then you can create a workflow to create a task when an e-mail is created and that task will sync to Outlook.  However, I do not recommend this as it will create too many records in CRM that will not be useful.

I suggest you change your process a bit and instead of using the CRM application through a browser to generate e-mails, have users initiate the e-mail through the CRM Outlook Client and track the e-mail in CRM. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:00 PM
  • You're right and I didn't even think about writing the workflow you talked about.

I though about writing a workflow that would send an email when the due date is reached with a shortcut to the email to send...

What do you think?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I am a bit confused, why do users want to associate a due date on an e-mail.  Usually, if there is a To Do item it would be a phone call, task, appointment, etc.  If users want to be able to automatically generate a task, phone call, etc, when they create an e-mail then you could probably accommodate that through a workflow. 

There are several options from adding some custom fields to the e-mails to allow users to flag the e-mails they want to use for generating follow-up activities, creating workflows that users can run on demand, etc.  I am not clear on your business process so I am not able to provide specifics.  You can play around with the workflow, see if you can create it to work the way you want and let us know if you have questions. 

I will respond with a suggestion about leveraging the workflow if you can give me the details about the business process. 

Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I am a bit confused, why do users want to associate a due date on an e-mail.  Usually, if there is a To Do item it would be a phone call, task, appointment, etc.  If users want to be able to automatically generate a task, phone call, etc, when they create an e-mail then you could probably accommodate that through a workflow. 

Actually that's a requirement and I can understand why. I think it's because they can associate a due date to any activity so why not with an email. If they have to send an email in three days, they want CRM to remind them like it does for Phone Calls...
    By the way I wonder why there is a due date in the Email Activity form and why it doesn't generate a task in Outlook.

There are several options from adding some custom fields to the e-mails to allow users to flag the e-mails they want to use for generating follow-up activities, creating workflows that users can run on demand, etc.  I am not clear on your business process so I am not able to provide specifics.  You can play around with the workflow, see if you can create it to work the way you want and let us know if you have questions.

I think I will write a Workflow that will run if the due date is populated / modified.
    It will send an email 15minutes before the due date like if it was an Outlook task.

Thanks for your help!!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:35 AM