my computer backup failed, it said not enough storage space, what can I do RRS feed

• Question

• My daughter has downloaded a ton of pictures from her camera to my home computer, now my computer wont backup because it says I dont have enough disk space available (1.04 mb free of 9.99 gb).  I don't know anything about computers, so what can i do???  I appreciate anyones help, Thanks

Monday, March 16, 2009 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    you are talking about Windows Home Server backup?
    Does this message refer to the client disk, which may be 10 GByte small (at least I would assume so)? In this case you need to delete some stuff here (start in C:\Windows\Temp).

A certain amount of free space is necessary to perform the backup and even to work with the PC, and 1 MByte will leave your PC unusable very soon.
    You can also delete all folders in C:\Windows, which start with $NTUninstall (as long as you are sure, that you dont want to uninstall any Windows Update of the past).

If this is not the case:
    Which version does your home server show in the console under settings/resources?
    Did you copy any files at any time directly to the D: drive of your server instead of the shares?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Alternatively you can also right click the drive in windows explorer, select properties, then from the general tab run Disk Cleanup. It will give you a number of options and also tell you how much space you will gain for each of these options.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    you are talking about Windows Home Server backup?
    Does this message refer to the client disk, which may be 10 GByte small (at least I would assume so)? In this case you need to delete some stuff here (start in C:\Windows\Temp).

A certain amount of free space is necessary to perform the backup and even to work with the PC, and 1 MByte will leave your PC unusable very soon.
    You can also delete all folders in C:\Windows, which start with $NTUninstall (as long as you are sure, that you dont want to uninstall any Windows Update of the past).

If this is not the case:
    Which version does your home server show in the console under settings/resources?
    Did you copy any files at any time directly to the D: drive of your server instead of the shares?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Alternatively you can also right click the drive in windows explorer, select properties, then from the general tab run Disk Cleanup. It will give you a number of options and also tell you how much space you will gain for each of these options.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:43 PM