none
Is it possible to change Folder pair path in SyncToy 2.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I wan't to change the path from the source folder is this possible?
    Best Regards
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hi rexybu,

For now, SyncToy does not allow changing the path of source folder, to avoid potential logic issue.

Would you like to describe your scenario in more details, please, so that we can try to find a work around or discuss if we can add related features?

(If you need to change folder path because the drive letter had changed, please notice that SyncToy 2.0/2.1 can handle this scenario automatically and you do not need to manually change the path)

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by JiGuang Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:30 AM better expression
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen BaiModerator Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:34 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi rexybu,

For now, SyncToy does not allow changing the path of source folder, to avoid potential logic issue.

Would you like to describe your scenario in more details, please, so that we can try to find a work around or discuss if we can add related features?

(If you need to change folder path because the drive letter had changed, please notice that SyncToy 2.0/2.1 can handle this scenario automatically and you do not need to manually change the path)

Thanks

• Edited by JiGuang Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:30 AM better expression
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen BaiModerator Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:34 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

my problem is the source path is to long. I can map a network-drive which has a shorter path.
    At the moment I have 10 folder pairs. I don't want create 10 new folder pairs with all their special configurations.
    When there is a possible workaround it were by nice.

Best regards

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Hi rexybu,

There have been users reporting their problems on path length issues before and we tried to work it around. But I am sorry that so far the only way to work around this issue with current SyncToy is creating new folder pairs with the mapped paths.

It might take SyncToy a long time to sync the new folder pairs for the first time, if there are too many files in these folder pairs.

Sorry again for the inconvenience. We have notice your issue and will discuss if we can make SyncToy work better in your scenario.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:54 AM
  • Thanks
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:24 AM
  • When plugging in USB flash drives or external hard drives, sometimes the drive letter changes from what it was before. JiGuang, can you give more details on how SyncToy can change this automatically? I have not seen it do this, and haven't found an option to make it reflect a change in drive letters. Currently the only thing I can do is create a new folder pair, and delete the old one if the drive letter doesn't seem to be changing back.
    • Proposed as answer by TwoLeather Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TwoLeather Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:05 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi Tsugaguy,

I had *exactly* this problem and solved it by changing the USB drive letter back to the correct one. I did this by using the instructions at http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/change-drive-letters-windows-7.htm (Iwhich I located by doing a search on 'change drive letter Windows 7'). I've just run Synctoy 2.1 and it works.

Good Luck.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I have the same issue; but, it comes as a result of the file structure on the server.  In some cases, the administrator will elect to split a folder (sometimes into multiple parts).  The structure on my local machine remains the same; but, the structure on the server changes.  For example:

c:\sync\oregon (local)                            to k:\sync\oregon (server)

becomes

c:\sync\oregon (local)                            to k:\sync\oregon\portland

What would help would be to change the right side directory path to include the additional directory step.  That is the only change.  Is there a way to do this over a group of directory pairs.  If not, that can mean having to re-enter 100's of directory pairs all over again just because the directory path on the right can't be changed to point to where the service side folders have been relocated.  Please let me know.

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:14 PM
  • I just was trying to change the destination of a sync (Right Hand Side) because I made a mistake and didn't want to re-run the entire operation in order to get my ECHO operation to work... but could not. Creating a new folder pair doesn't allow you to pick up where SyncToy left off...

So, that capability could be cool to have.

Note that the "folder length" problem you mention there is also an issue with Windows Live Mesh 2011. It has trouble syncing folders and files that extend beyond a certain depth / path length. So that can totally bite you there too...

Friday, February 17, 2012 10:36 PM