Admin and Non-Admin account differences? RRS feed

• Question

• For security reasons I do not want to run Live Mesh in an Administrator account.  I do not run as Admin normally, so I need it running on my normal user accounts.

I have noticed that when Live Mesh is installed in an Admin account, it synchronises files and allows remote desktop access even when the account has not been logged into.  The machine only has to be switched on and booted up.

But when Live Mesh is installed in a normal user account, the account has to be logged in (or disconnected but still logged in) for it to synchronise files and allow remote desktop access.

Are my observations correct?  If they are, it would be great if Live Mesh could still synchronise without having the host account logged on.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:23 AM

Answers

• The fact that it synchronizes files even when not logged in is apparently a defect as that isn't the way it is supposed to work, according to the Live Mesh team. :-) However, many people like that it does this.
    I can't speak to your other observations as I only run on PCs with admin privileges.
    Live Mesh must be installed under an admin account, but it can run on non-admin accounts just fine. Once it is installed, the remote desktop listener is running as a service, so it doesn't matter if anyone is logged in or not at that point. If it is powered on, it can be accessed.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:25 PM

All replies

• The fact that it synchronizes files even when not logged in is apparently a defect as that isn't the way it is supposed to work, according to the Live Mesh team. :-) However, many people like that it does this.
    I can't speak to your other observations as I only run on PCs with admin privileges.
    Live Mesh must be installed under an admin account, but it can run on non-admin accounts just fine. Once it is installed, the remote desktop listener is running as a service, so it doesn't matter if anyone is logged in or not at that point. If it is powered on, it can be accessed.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:25 PM
  • I am now keeping Live Mesh only installed on normal user accounts on my machines, as I am a bit wary of the security implications.  The fact that Mesh only synchronises when the account is logged in is a drawback that makes the program less useful than otherwise, IMO.

I have just installed Live Mesh on a normal user account on Windows Server 2003, but it seems a bit different to how it is on XP or Win Server 2008, for some weird reason.  I cannot find the wlcrasvc service (I was trying to disable it, but it's not even there!).
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:48 AM