Can I run non-server apps on Home Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a file new server to replace a PIII 700 running WinXP and want to use WHS. I would like to run Guitar Pro - on the server in addition to the more traditional server apps. Will WHS run apps compatible with Vista and XP like a traditional PC? I use my current file server for backups and file storage, but it is also connected to my TV so I can run  Guitar Pro and play along with sheet music and the backing tracks. The new server will be a P4 3GHZ with 2GB of ram.

Also, the trial order site is pretty sparse - can I install the trial, then buy an OEM copy and enter the license without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks,

Randy
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:03 PM

All replies

• You will have to try your software to see, but Windows home Server is not designed to be used as a desktop operating system. rather, it's intended to run without keyboard, video, and mouse, sitting in a corner protecting your data and making it available.

You will have to reinstall to upgrade to a fully-licensed version from the evaluation version. The 120 day evaluation software has a "time bomb" built into the operating system, which will disable the server when the evaluation period has expired. Reinstallation does not, however, mean tht you will need to move all your data off and back on the server; you can do so in a non-destructive fashion.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:43 PM
  • r4ndy said:

I am building a file new server to replace a PIII 700 running WinXP and want to use WHS. I would like to run Guitar Pro - on the server in addition to the more traditional server apps. Will WHS run apps compatible with Vista and XP like a traditional PC?

First, there is no "Home Server 2008".  There is only Windows Home Server (which is written on top of Windows Server 2003).

While you can install some apps on WHS, any installation that requires logging into the server desktop is unsupported.  The only supported method of installing anything on WHS is through the use of add-ins.  The main thing to remember when installing an app on WHS is it is Server 2003 (which is the equivalent of XP Server).  Any app that works on those OSes has a decent chance of running on WHS as well.

r4ndy said:

I use my current file server for backups and file storage, but it is also connected to my TV so I can run  Guitar Pro and play along with sheet music and the backing tracks. The new server will be a P4 3GHZ with 2GB of ram.

Also, the trial order site is pretty sparse - can I install the trial, then buy an OEM copy and enter the license without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks,

Randy

No.  You would need to reinstall the OS.  However, that's not as bad as it sounds because WHS automatically partitions the primary drive into 2 segments (SYS and DATA).  When you get the OEM version, you can use a special installation method called Server Reinstallation.  It will format the SYS partition (where the OS is stored), but leave the data in tact.  Once the reinstallation is complete, all you need to do is re-create users and re-install any add-ins/apps.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.

I think I will try out the trial (lol) and see how it works. I will report back my findings. 
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:05 PM