SyncToy 2.1 fails to make synchronize action, but echo and contribute action is ok RRS feed

• Question

• I use a w2k PC as NAS. The other PC's and Laptop are installed with SyncToy to make backup in NAS. I was very pleased after I have tried it out. It worked. But problems came later. The day after I have tried to synchronize the folder pair. It tells that there are 624 files and 24 folders to be deleted, even if I have done nothing after the last synchronization. At the same time it tells that there are 624 new files and 24 new folders to be created. It seems that SyncToy works only in the active session. As long as I shut down my laptop and restart it again, the same thing happens again. But echo and contribute actions seem to work correctly. Does anybody have such experience and knows how to avoid that? The configuration of my network: 

PC with w2k prof. SP4 Chinese simplified version as NAS (workgroup)
    Vista ultimate 64 bit on laptop
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Zhaobuoshi,

Thank you for reporting your issues! That will help us improve this tool. And we will try to find a way to work around your problem with current SyncToy.

We need some details to repro and investigate your problem. We can begin with the created date and modified date of these files in question, because most of such issues we have known are related with timestamp, according to which SyncToy detects file changes. I hope you can provide the following information first:
     1. Take a file to be unexpectedly deleted. Would you please check what its created and modified dates of the file are on each side? And please also check whether the source path is your local folder or your NAS folder, in the “Preview” window of SyncToy.
     2. The associated information for a file to be created.

BTW, SyncToy 2.1 has fixed some of this kind of issues. If you were using SyncToy 2.0 or lower, you can try if SyncToy 2.1 could give you some good luck.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:03 AM