WHS backup fails, path too long RRS feed

• Question

• I've added an external drive to my WHS in order to take a backup of the server itself. But it's unable to backup some file due to the file path beeing to long. About a hand full of files fail with this error: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

If NTFS supports these kind of paths (and apparently it does since I've managed to create the files) and the backup disk also uses NTFS then what's the problem? I can read the files in question both via the network \\myserver\share\.... and via d:\shares\.... on RDP.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:08 PM

Answers

• Please submit a bug on Connect. What's probably happening is that the code that copies the backup to the external drive has a limitation that NTFS itself doesn't. A bug report will help Microsoft identify and fix the issue.

I could have sworn I remembered something in the PP1 release notes about this, but it's not there... 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:41 PM

All replies

• Please submit a bug on Connect. What's probably happening is that the code that copies the backup to the external drive has a limitation that NTFS itself doesn't. A bug report will help Microsoft identify and fix the issue.

I could have sworn I remembered something in the PP1 release notes about this, but it's not there... 

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Oh yes, with each Beta of Windows I fight the lost battle against that limitation of the Explorer GUI again - and always no success.
    With mapped network drives deeper in the hierarchy of local folders such deep path is quickly created, especially if your users are not grown in the age of 8:3 file names.

In some dark corner I also remember that there was a fix for an overlong path issue in the past, but this was definitively not for the server backup to external disk, but for duplication of such pathes, I think those raised file conflicts and could cause file loss.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Searching connect I found several similar reported bugs that all were marked closed or fixed. But this is definitely not fixed yet, even in PP2. So I did as you suggested and reported it as a bug.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:10 PM
    In some dark corner I also remember that there was a fix for an overlong path issue in the past, but this was definitively not for the server backup to external disk, but for duplication of such pathes, I think those raised file conflicts and could cause file loss.
    That was fixed in PP1; as you suggest it was Drive Extender that had a problem with long paths. I could swear I remember mention of Pål's exact issue, and that it's effectively a "known" issue, somewhere official, though.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:17 PM