off topic - capabilities RRS feed

• General discussion

• OK, help me understand what this anti-spyware program will do.  I currently run AdAware Pro constantly and keep it updated....kids get on the computer, spyware ends up on the computer.  I have run SuperAntiSpyware (recommended by microsoft) Spybot, Adaware and Cox Security Suite and none stops or removes Virtumonde or DriveCleaner2006.  I constantly get popups from "By Internet Speed Monitor" even though I have windows popup blocker running.  Will this software prevent and if necessary remove such applications from my computer?  Will it stop popups?   My antivirus works well fortunately.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:25 PM

All replies

• Virtumonde and its variants are very stubborn and require specialized tools to remove. See this link for removal help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:35 PM
  • In addition:

Unfortunately For Vundo`s/Virtumonde cases infection it change its variant every month

( I havent seen a Security Application who so can remove it properly ) hmmm superantispyware am not sure if that is recommended, yes Adware and Spybot SD is very well known for such matter. Either way the recommendation i would give you is to call Microsoft Security ( 866 727 2338 ) a free support group to have the said vundo infection removed from your system properly and all others that came with it.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:36 PM
  • SuperAntiSpyware came directly from my phone session with microsoft and was succesful in removing some other sypware a few weeks ago.   I actually was going to Trend Micro's hijackthis to get a registry list and decided to use their spyware removal tool while I was there.  I ran it once in safe mode, ran it again and it has  apparently worked.  No more popups.  Virtumonde and regcleaner2006 have finally been completely removed. 

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:48 AM
  • Good to hear such but do - verify better use the hijackthis just to make sure cross on such list with the hijackthis and also its not only pop-ups that vundo brings to your system it also brings with it slowdown. Just to make sure...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:21 AM